Analysis Algorithm changes chart/table; database trustworthiness

beatunes

28 May, 2021 01:48 PM

Hello,

Analysis questions follow.

With a large library it is difficult to analyze everything but maybe I will have to do that soon.

I think it would be helpful if the FAQ had a list or page of major algorithm changes through the versions for the last 10 years, with some advice concerning whether a re-analysis which incorporates the new algorithm should be done. For instance, I think the color parameter has changed over the years so that the color value created in version 3 or 4 should be recalculated to compare with the color value in version 5. Have there been changes to the color algorithm since version 5 was introduced? A nice table in a web page similar to:

analysis v3 v4 v5 v5.2
BPM x improved same minor change
redo
etc.

Another issue with analysis is that many items can be looked up in some ? database or calculated locally. The issue I have is: what is the quality of the data in the database? For instance, if I locally calculate a BPM it tells me 140. However, if I pull the value from the database it tells me 98, which is wrong. What part of the database can be trusted, if any? Perhaps one should use the algorithms as they should at least be consistent; whereas the with the database it is an unknown, some data from it may be more accurate, some less.

I used the newer level adjustment standard with a different new standard target LUFS. I should have set it to be more compatible with previously analyzed songs using replay gain 1. Another gotcha; must redo. I think that will be recalculated with a target of -16db for LUFS.

Well before I recalculate/analyze I should hear the trustworthiness of the database; for BPM it does have errors.

Your advice is welcomed as I am sure you tested these analysis algorithms and probably know what is in the database.

Thanks,

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 28 May, 2021 09:26 PM

Three quick answers:

The database for BPM is made up of values submitted by beaTunes users. I.e. when you calculate a value locally it may make its way into the database after computation. The logic in the database is, that it prefers values computed by more recent versions of beaTunes or manually entered values (via tapping).

ReplayGain/volumen adjustment is always computed locally, never looked up.

What used to be "color" before v5 is now called "timbre". "color" in v5 incorporates not just timbral characteristics, but also rhythmic qualities.

2. 2 Posted by hmijail on 25 Nov, 2021 12:48 PM

I had a related question that had an inauspicious answer: http://help.beatunes.com/discussions/suggestions/6509-import-data-a...

FWIW, personally I've stopped trying to fight the analysis and inspection, and now basically only use Beatunes as little more than a glitchy BPM analyzer.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac