Eliminate the extra mouse-click in the Message List

Richard

11 Jul, 2020 07:04 PM

This is a suggestion for a small improvement when working with the Task Queue Message List.

If the user highlights a single error message with a left-click and then right-clicks it, a one-item menu comes up "Show in Playlist...". (Actually, in this case if the user right-clicks ANYWHERE in the message list, the "Show in Playlist..." menu comes up relating to the highlighted message, even if that message is no longer visible... which can lead to some confusion regarding what track is being referenced.)

It would be nice if the right-click could do double duty. If the user right-clicks on an unhighlighted message, it would be nice if that action would cause that message to be highlighted (and un-highlight any other messages that might already be highlighted) AND bring up the "Show in Playlist..." menu, thereby eliminating an unneeded left mouse click.

If a user left-clicks a message, I am proposing no change to that functionality. The message would be highlighted.

I can't think of a downside to the proposed functionality change.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 13 Jul, 2020 05:44 PM

Thank you for suggesting this. It has been bothering me for a long time and somehow was never fixed. I guess now is the time!

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by hendrik on 03 Aug, 2020 02:37 PM

This should be fixed in beaTunes v5.2.11 (released today).

3. hendrik closed this discussion on 03 Aug, 2020 02:37 PM.

4. Richard re-opened this discussion on 05 Aug, 2020 03:27 PM

5. 3 Posted by Richard on 05 Aug, 2020 03:27 PM

Well, it's fixed, but I think you've introduced a worse problem elsewhere.

When the user is looking at a list of songs, whether in the main "Music" listing or in a playlist, prior to this update the user could select a bunch of songs and right-click to bring up the context menu. Now the right-click unselects all the songs except the one that you happen to be on before bringing up the context menu. So now the user can't select a bunch of songs and do any of the right-click things to the selection. Instead, the user must select his songs and then go to the top menu to do things like Analyze or create a New Playlist.

I think the change you made should have been applicable to the Message List only, not to any of the song lists. The pre-5.2.11 functionality elsewhere was good.

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by hendrik on 06 Aug, 2020 03:12 PM

Oh no... 🤦‍♂️

That's an error that should not happen.
    I have fixed it in 5.2.12.

Thanks for making me aware of it.

-hendrik

7. 5 Posted by Richard on 06 Aug, 2020 03:42 PM

Ahhh! Much better now. Thank you!

8. Support Staff 6 Posted by hendrik on 06 Aug, 2020 03:53 PM

Cool. I'll close this discussion then.

9. hendrik closed this discussion on 06 Aug, 2020 03:53 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac