Analyze then Synchronize

Richard

30 Jun, 2020 04:29 AM

Hendrik:

You wrote this in reply to ErikL in a closed discussion from mid January 2020:
"beaTunes should only reload data from files that have a later last modified stamp than what's stored in the database. And the database entry is updated whenever an analysis is conducted. So beaTunes should indeed "know" not to re-read it's own modifications."

I'm running into a similar problem that ErikL was writing about. I used Analyze to add the "color" value to a big chunk of my music library: about 300,000 tracks. Once that finished (a couple of days later, as expected), I ran Synchronize to pick up a few dozen new tracks I added recently to my folders. Usually Synchronize only takes a minute or two to do that, thanks to an enhancement you made a few releases ago. This time it looks like it will take about 12-16 hours. (It is still running, 3 hours in with the progress bar about 1/4 complete.) [Update: 13 hours in, a little over half done, but it is competing with a lengthy back-up of the same folders.]

My only guess is that Synchronize does not know that Analyze just updated all those tracks, and it is spending lots of time processing tracks that BT (in theory) should or could "know" about.

I fully recognize that this is a situation that won't have a big impact on most users who won't have really large libraries to reanalyze. So I'm just bringing this up as a comment and not suggesting a lot of time be spent streamlining this particular set of events. But, it does seem that beaTunes really does not know not to re-read its own modifications, at least in this case.

Richard
(Windows 8.1, current version of beaTunes, folder-based library, approx. 388,000 tracks.)

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 02 Jul, 2020 04:07 PM

Hey Richard,

apologies for the late reply, Things have been a little crazy here lately.

My only guess is that Synchronize does not know that Analyze just updated all those tracks, and it is spending lots of time processing tracks that BT (in theory) should or could "know" about.

Well, it really should now about this. Without more data, I really cannot comment about what is taking so long and why beaTunes is apparently reloading files it should not.

Sorry,

-hendrik

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac