Adding "freshness" to matchlists when updating

evansthompson

12 Apr, 2020 05:38 PM

I have some matchlists that I'm mostly pretty happy with. However, there are some instances where it would be nice to have control, specifically to "reward" newly added music and "penalize" songs appearing in the matchlist before updated/frequently played songs.

For instance, with EDM type matchlists, it would be nice to say "give new tracks a little priority but not to the extent of overriding all other criteria" and conversely "penalize" tracks that have been played a lot lately.

For other matchlists, unless I decrease the threshold or change the rules to force more diversity, it's common to have a number of the songs from the previous matchlist (pre-update) appear in the "new"/updated matchlist.

Sometimes a matchlist will get "artist bombed" (especially by the Beatles, it seems), but I'm guessing increasing the priority to the "Different Artist" and/or "Different Album" will help with that.

(Speaking of, how are the "Different Artist" and "similar artist" rules reconciled?)

I know that there are filters to be applied at the end, but that seems a little drastic with the play frequency, last played, play/skip ratio for "general purpose" matchlists that aren't laser-focused like "based on this song with this BPM range that I haven't heard in the last 30 days but have rated a 4+ or "loved." These "general purpose" matchlists that are more mood/situational. Like driving, cooking, in the mood for a particular "sort" of song, etc. They typically have a higher number of tracks and are not updated as frequently. (Though I'm trying smaller numbers of tracks.) So if a song has been played/in a matchlist recently, that's not the end of the world, but added diversity would be good.

And as a quasi-nonsequeter, how are criteria like "mood" or "tags" used if a song don't have anything for "mood" or "tags." Since those rely on online resources, not every song will return a "mood" or "tags."

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 21 Apr, 2020 12:47 PM

Sorry for the late reply, but I knew I was not really going to address this quickly.

"give new tracks a little priority but not to the extent of overriding all other criteria"

That is indeed an interesting criterion and I made an entry in my todo list to explore this further. Unfortunately, there won't be a quick turnaround on this one.

Sometimes a matchlist will get "artist bombed" (especially by the Beatles, it seems), but I'm guessing increasing the priority to the "Different Artist" and/or "Different Album" will help with that.

Not necessarily, because the rules are only applied in reference to the seed songs. This means, that if The Beatles match your seed songs very well, you'll get a lot of The Beatles and neither Different Artist not Similar Artist will help.

(Speaking of, how are the "Different Artist" and "similar artist" rules reconciled?)

That is a great question. The Different rules really just enforce lexical similarity. I.e., if my seed song is by The Beatles, the rule makes sure that tracks by other artists are ranked higher (if all other criteria are the same).

The Similar Artist rule on the other hand "knows" how artists relate to each other. It uses semantic similarity. It knows that The Beatles and Nirvana are not similar, while Soundgarden and Nirvana are. This rule is a lot smarter than any of the Different rules. However, it has the drawback that its knowledge base cannot cover very new artists. So for brand-new recordings by emerging artists, the Similar Artists rule may be useless.

And as a quasi-nonsequeter, how are criteria like "mood" or "tags" used if a song don't have anything for "mood" or "tags." Since those rely on online resources, not every song will return a "mood" or "tags."

Having no mood or tag means that the song in question is judged just like a song that has a non-matching mood or tag.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac