room for optimization?

ErikL

15 Jan, 2020 01:17 PM

Re-analyzed my entire library to benefit from the updated (bpm) algorithms. Kudo's for the ugrade by the way.
Then synced, because I had added a couple of albums in the time it took to re-analyze.
Surprising result: syncing takes forever under heavy disk load. Obviously BT again examines every file which it earlier modified in re-analyzing.

I'd expect BT to "know" about its own modifications, so BT-modified files don't needlessly trigger sync/rescan process.

Just wondering if there might be room for optimization here?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 15 Jan, 2020 05:30 PM

Hey there,

beaTunes should only reload data from files that have a later last modified stamp than what's stored in the database. And the database entry is updated whenever an analysis is conducted. So beaTunes should indeed "know" not to re-read it's own modifications. That said, going through all files on a NAS and retrieving all file attributes may also take some time.

Can you please remind me what kind of library, you are using and what kind of medium your music files are stored on?

Thanks,

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by ErikL on 15 Jan, 2020 06:24 PM

Hi,

I have a folder-based library (Win10), spanning several internal HDD's.

I'm pretty sure it's the number of processed files that's reflected in the sync time.

Tx.

Edit: there was no shutdown between analyzing and syncing... Maybe that's a factor?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 16 Jan, 2020 03:48 PM

Edit: there was no shutdown between analyzing and syncing... Maybe that's a factor?

No, that shouldn't make a difference. Perhaps it just takes so long, because your HDDs are already super busy?

In any case, you could pause analysis, sync, and then resume analysis—might make the whole process a little more efficient.

4. 4 Posted by ErikL on 17 Jan, 2020 01:19 PM

Perhaps it just takes so long, because your HDDs are already super busy

Nope. But I'm done repeating myself.

5. ErikL closed this discussion on 17 Jan, 2020 01:25 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac