Ratings Changed...

Thomas Nelson

24 Jul, 2017 09:15 PM

Hi there,

Ack! I've been using BeaTunes for a couple of weeks now. I mainly got it to fix inconsistencies in my huge 250,000+ iTunes (Mac) library.

I made the mistake of doing an Analysis instead of an Inspection, and now I have a number of tracks that have had their ratings (and maybe other data) changed. Rats! I use the ratings system for a number of smartlists. I did stop the Analysis, after a week (like I said, huge library), and it didn't get close to putting a dent in it.

So, I have two questions:
1 - Having browsed the discussions, I can tell that my problem is most likely that I have the "Import metadata from online sources" button clicked. Where do I unclick that?

2 - Is there a place that logs what changes have been made so I can go back and manually change them back? Otherwise, I am going to have a lot of tedious work ahead of me.

Thanks,

Thomas

1. 1 Posted by Thomas Nelson on 24 Jul, 2017 10:11 PM

Oops. I forgot to mention that I am using the most current version of BeaTunes, 5.0.2.

:-)

Thomas

2. 2 Posted by Thomas Nelson on 25 Jul, 2017 04:55 AM

And while I've got your attention, one more question:

3 - Will the Importing of Metadata from an online source override existing ratings?

Thanks again.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 25 Jul, 2017 05:06 AM

Hey Thomas,

1 - Having browsed the discussions, I can tell that my problem is most likely that I have the "Import metadata from online sources" button clicked. Where do I unclick that?

That's in the analysis options dialog. The dialog is displayed, whenever you select to analyze something, before the analysis starts.

2 - Is there a place that logs what changes have been made so I can go back and manually change them back? Otherwise, I am going to have a lot of tedious work ahead of me.

Sorry, but no.

3 - Will the Importing of Metadata from an online source override existing ratings?

That depends on the settings you chose for "import metadata".

I did stop the Analysis, after a week

For such a large library, I recommend to only analyze stuff you really need. I.e. in the analysis options dialog, do not select anything you don't really want to understand.

-hendrik

4. 4 Posted by Thomas Nelson on 25 Jul, 2017 07:35 PM

Hi Hendrik,

Thank you for the quick response.

Disappointing news, but not unexpected. I've spent the last six or seven hours trying to correct as many of the errors as I could find. The program even erased my "Description" text - an entry that isn't used too often in iTunes. I was able to find all of the two to five star rate changes. The one star changes are harder to find amidst previous ratings.

I thought I had figured out a work around. I was remembered that in iTunes, one of the view options is "Date Modified." Unfortunately, the Inspection changes show up in that, but not the Analysis. Drat!

Oh well. That's what I get for not backing up the library prior to using the program. My previous backup was from three weeks prior. Rats! It kind of ironic that I purchased the program to save me time in fine tuning my tracks. OOPS!

Once again, thank you for you help.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by hendrik on 28 Jul, 2017 08:26 AM

Sorry, this messed things up for you :-(

The program even erased my "Description" text - an entry that isn't used too often in iTunes.

I'm not sure what you are referring to... can you please send a screenshot?

6. 6 Posted by Thomas Nelson on 30 Jul, 2017 08:38 PM

No need to apologize. I should know better than to not backup, and to just start trying something without knowing for sure what I'm doing. Totally my mistake.

Having a manual to identify everything sure would be nice, rather than having to use the Knowledge Base.

Regarding the "Description" tag, it's just a field that previously was an easy to find, but not used often tag in iTunes. It was originally used for video, but could be used for any files. Now, one can view it, but it is not accessible for mass change with the Get Info dialogue. The only way to do mass changes now is with a script.

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=enterdescriptiontext

I use it to identify songs for a Halloween playlist with having to change the genre of the song. I wanted a metadata tag that wasn't used often with anything else.

On the attached screenshot, you can see that "description" is the View Options box, under "Personal."

At any rate, I'm not sure it's something for you to be worried about. It was my mistake. :-)

Thanks,

Thomas

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by hendrik on 01 Aug, 2017 01:39 PM

Having a manual to identify everything sure would be nice, rather than having to use the Knowledge Base.

I know it's not the greatest, but there is a built-in help hidden in the Help menu.

Regarding the "Description" tag, it's just a field that previously was an easy to find, but not used often tag in iTunes. It was originally used for video, but could be used for any files. Now, one can view it, but it is not accessible for mass change with the Get Info dialogue.

Just for the record—for mp3/ID3 the description field is equivalent to TIT3 a.k.a. Subtitle. From the ID3 spec v2.4:

The 'Subtitle/Description refinement' frame is used for information directly related to the contents title (e.g. "Op. 16" or "Performed live at Wembley").

It's currently unsupported in beaTunes. To a degree that's the case, because iTunes does not export it in its iTunes Library.xml file.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac