"Black" as a song color

Mathew

27 Jun, 2017 08:06 AM

I don't know if anyone has gotten this problem but after analyzing my songs, some of them got "black" as a color (e.g. 22,28,23 and 10,12,14). I made a custom ruleset with just color at 1.0 and no other rules and strangely enough for me, other songs with a "black" color don't appear. Is there something I'm missing here?

It's all in the screenshot btw

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 27 Jun, 2017 08:09 AM

What happens when you move the Match Quality slider towards, e.g. 10%?

2. 2 Posted by Mathew on 27 Jun, 2017 02:19 PM

A song starts to appear when the slider is at least at 36% (3 songs at 10% as suggested). And when I put the slider at 1%, only 1 "black" colored song appears. I'm just curious as to how or why does this happen tho, not a big issue yet!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 27 Jun, 2017 06:21 PM

It may sound odd, but black is not the same as black.

Internally, the color is represented as HSB (hue, saturation, brightness). If brightness is 0, hue and saturation really aren't visible anymore. This means that two black songs may still have very different hue and brightness values. And that's why they don't readily appear.

4. 4 Posted by Mathew on 28 Jun, 2017 12:46 AM

Okay that makes more sense. So in cases like these, is it better to sort them by HSB? And is there a way to sort them by HSB? Or do you have any other recommendations? I’m this close to buying beatunes haha I’m just looking for a workaround for this!

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by hendrik on 28 Jun, 2017 06:41 PM

So in cases like these, is it better to sort them by HSB?

beaTunes sorts by HSB, unless you click on the Color table header. By clicking on it (the text part), you can switch to secondary sort orders, e.g. Color by RGB. But it won't help. A color with hardly any brightness will always appear black, even though in the HSB color model, the values for S and H may be very different. It's one of those problems when you map a 3D space into a 1D space.

I’m this close to buying beatunes haha I’m just looking for a workaround for this!

So there isn't really a workaround. The color you see is really just an illustration for the 3D value that is used internally. So not all blacks are created equal...

Sorry.

6. 6 Posted by Mathew on 29 Jun, 2017 06:24 AM

It's alright mate I'm still buying this. Thanks again for the help!

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by hendrik on 29 Jun, 2017 06:26 AM

It's alright mate I'm still buying this. Thanks again for the help!

You're very welcome!

8. hendrik closed this discussion on 29 Jun, 2017 06:26 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac