Mood Tags

Christian Fasy

26 Jun, 2017 06:46 AM

Is there a way to change the mood tag descriptors? Words like 'bored' or 'sleepy' for example seem pejorative. I personally would even prefer the valence and arousal numbers over the seemingly arbitrary mood tags. I wanted to say, however, that the mood grid is something that I've been wanting for a long time in my music database. A really long time. I even used a grid very similar to the one in beaTunes to teach my students to evaluate emotional content in music and art.
Thanks for reading.
Christian

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 26 Jun, 2017 06:57 AM

Hey Christian,

the tags are based on Russel's circumplex model. I totally agree that they are probably not "the best". For now, there is no way to change them though. Other adjectives would need to be placed in the model in a similar scientific experiment as Russel's. Let me assure you, they are not meant to be pejorative (but I see your point).

Sorry,

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by Christian Fasy on 26 Jun, 2017 07:05 AM

Thank you for responding. I haven’t looked at beaTunes since my license expired for v.2. I always loved the use of color, and have searched for a way to use it in my music since I was very young. I’m very excited about the new version, and especially about the mood grid. I just need the Happiness and Arousal numbers to be more easily accessible so I could do a batch search and replace, or something. Perhaps a way to copy them to the comments field.
    Anyway, I’m saving my pennies.
    Christian

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 26 Jun, 2017 07:24 AM

You could always write a plugin that copies the values somewhere else.

4. 4 Posted by Christian Fasy on 26 Jun, 2017 07:29 AM

Alas, though I am strong in the Humanities, my lack of knowledge in the field of computer programming is one of my primary weaknesses. :-)

Thank you for your responsiveness, Hendrik.

5. 5 Posted by ErikL on 30 Jun, 2017 08:02 AM

I personally would even prefer the valence and arousal numbers over the seemingly arbitrary mood tags

Couldn't agree more.

I just need the Happiness and Arousal numbers to be more easily accessible

Hmmmm, dreaming of sliders to navigate the valence-arousal diagram...

PS: I assume these values are still sourced from acousticbrainz?

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by hendrik on 30 Jun, 2017 08:08 AM

Hmmmm, dreaming of sliders to navigate the valence-arousal diagram...

Where? In which interface element? The Get Info dialog? How would that be easer than just clicking into the mood color square with the mouse?

PS: I assume these values are still sourced from acousticbrainz?

That depends.

While I have an awful lot of respect for the AcousticBrainz project, their mood estimations are not the greatest.

When available, beaTunes fetches Last.fm tags and interprets those as moods. If not available, AcousticBrainz is checked as a fallback.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac