Q: Analyse color+mood without modifying key+bpm tags

texture

23 Jun, 2017 01:44 PM

Hi, I'm currently evaluating beaTunes 5.0.1, and I have a question I could not find answered in the FAQ/Help/Knowledgebase:

How can I configure beaTunes 5 to only analyse for color and mood and *not* change key and BPM in the id3-Tags?
I'm using MiK for key analysis and Traktor for manual BPM/beatgridding.

Is the analysed data stored as id3 Tags or in a beatunes DB? I'd love to have as much control over my mp3s as possible :-)

Thanks!

1. 1 Posted by texture on 23 Jun, 2017 01:53 PM

The DigitalDJTipps review https://www.digitaldjtips.com/2017/06/review-video-beatunes-5-music-library-fixer-playlist-app/ is not very clear about these questions either.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by hendrik on 23 Jun, 2017 01:56 PM

How can I configure beaTunes 5 to only analyse for color and mood and not change key and BPM in the id3-Tags?

Whenever you start an analysis, beaTunes shows the analysis options dialog. This dialog allows you to turn analysis tasks on or off. There are tasks for BPM, key, mood, etc. Just don't turn stuff on that you don't want to have changed. As a general rule: Never turn stuff on that you don't understand.

Is the analysed data stored as id3 Tags or in a beatunes DB?

The answer is: it depends.

Data is always stored in the internal beaTunes database.
    Whether it's also embedded in your files depends on the the kind of library you are using:

1. If your beaTunes library is folder-based, beaTunes always embeds data into the files as well.
    2. If your beaTunes library is iTunes-based, beaTunes only embeds data into the files, if the data is supported by iTunes (e.g. name, album, ..., but not key, mood,...) or if you have the box embed non-Tunes fields checked (general preferences, only available for iTunes libraries).

More about different kinds of beaTunes libraries can be found here.
    More about where beaTunes stores data can be found here.

3. 3 Posted by texture on 23 Jun, 2017 02:06 PM

> As a general rule: Never turn stuff on that you don't understand.

:-) Thanks, for your answer, will continue evaluation :-)

The general configuration option "Embed non-iTunes Fields" or the corresponding entry in the Tools dropdown menu described in http://blog.beatunes.com/2013/10/so-where-exactly-does-beatunes-store.html is not present in beaTunes 5 on Windows 7, maybe the article should be updated.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by hendrik on 23 Jun, 2017 02:09 PM

The general configuration option "Embed non-iTunes Fields" or the corresponding entry in the Tools dropdown menu described in http://blog.beatunes.com/2013/10/so-where-exactly-does-beatunes-sto... is not present in beaTunes 5 on Windows 7, maybe the article should be updated.

What kind of beaTunes library do you use? iTunes-based or folder-based? The dropdown is only available for iTunes-based collections.

5. 5 Posted by texture on 23 Jun, 2017 02:11 PM

Ok, final thanks: I'm re-installing iTunes now, to switch beaTunes to iTunes mode.
    I would prefer to use Folder mode and have the option to control which tags are written. Just a suggestion :-)

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by hendrik on 23 Jun, 2017 02:16 PM

Ok, final thanks: I'm re-installing iTunes now, to switch beaTunes to iTunes mode. I would prefer to use Folder mode and have the option to control which tags are written.

Keep in mind, that while key and mood are not supported by iTunes, BPM is (somewhat) supported. So in iTunes mode, BPM will be written, if changed.

Also, make sure you enable XML sharing in iTunes before you create a new beaTunes library based on the iTunes Library.xml file.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac