Restore Beatunes after machine failure

Martin Clark

02 May, 2017 09:28 AM

Hi
The SSD on my Macbook Air failed and I had to have it replaced. I have an Time Machine backup from the old machine but, for various reasons, I do not want to do a full restore. So I am restoring and reinstalling applications one at a time.

I understand that most, if not all, of the information I added to iTunes with Beatunes (BPM, mood etc.) should have been saved in the MP3 tags themselves, so I should be able to just reinstall Beatunes without losing any of that.

However, there must also be a lot of other information about, for example, which duplicates and other issues found by Beatunes should be ignored. I would rather not have to go through that process all over again - I have a large library and it took many days to go through all those different issues. I assume this "ignore" information etc. is not saved in the MP3 files themselves, so can it be restored from somewhere in the backup of the old machine?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 02 May, 2017 09:38 AM

Hey Martin,

you need to restore files from the folder ~/Library/Application Support/beaTunes. It contains the beaTunes library and also a file named ignoredIssues.jsondb (you can guess what that contains :-).

~ stands for you user home directory, not the root of your filesystem.

Note that ignored issues (to a degree) depend on persistent song ids. Those are the ids either beaTunes or iTunes assigned to your songs.

If you are using an iTunes-based library, you will also have to restore the iTunes library to its original state and not rebuild it, as rebuilding will mean new persistent ids and that means your ignoredIssues.jsondb becomes worthless.

If you are using a folder-based library, you will need to make sure that you not only restore ignoredIssues.jsondb, but also the beaTunes database.

Hope this helps,

-hendrik

2. hendrik closed this discussion on 18 May, 2017 02:23 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac