Beatunes GUI: remember preferences?

Chuck

12 Nov, 2013 11:55 AM

Hello.

I am wondering something. If I customize Beatunes and take the time to organize what columns I wish to see and those I wish to remove from the user interface (i.e. BPM, color, key, etc), is there a way to "save" these preferences are copy them to a new computer? Or do I have to manually remove and add each and every column every time I install the program either on the same PC or a new machine?

How do I backup and export/import preferences like this for Beatunes for migrating?

Thank you!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 12 Nov, 2013 09:41 PM

Hi Chuck,

Are you on OS X or on Windows?
    On OS X you could try to copy the file ~/Library/Preferences/com.tagtraum.beatunes.plist to the same location on the new computer.

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by Chuck on 12 Nov, 2013 09:47 PM

Windows 7 64bit.

Thank you so much!

It's such a pain to have to uncheck all those columns that I don't want to display, every time I reinstall or change computers :( Oy! If only there was a batch way to edit those columns, no?

Can I at least save those preferences on Windows?

3. 3 Posted by Chuck on 12 Nov, 2013 09:48 PM

I thought maybe an XML file or preferences2 in my AppData?

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by hendrik on 12 Nov, 2013 10:00 PM

Sorry, under Windows it's a lot more difficult to get to the preferences (registry).

But did you know, that once you clicked on a song, you can go to the View menu and select View Options… you get an easy to use dialog that allows you to choose columns?

-hendrik

5. 5 Posted by Chuck on 12 Nov, 2013 10:06 PM

Son of a gun. I didn't know that. I was right clicking on the column headers themselves, and choosing one by one by one.........ugh!
    I feel stupid :)

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by hendrik on 12 Nov, 2013 10:07 PM

Well, it is a little hidden ;-)

7. 7 Posted by Chuck on 12 Nov, 2013 10:14 PM

One last question please: is there a way to save the index of your mp3s in beatunes so it doesnt have to rescan the files on a new PC or a new install?

For example, I have 10,000 files (mp3s). Beatunes has anaylzed them. Is that information indexed in a file somewhere on my PC that I can transfer with Beatunes to a new PC or new install, and save a re-analysis? Or must I rescan mp3s when i reinstall Windows or change to my other PC?

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by hendrik on 13 Nov, 2013 08:53 AM

Hey Chuck,

of course there is an index, it's in the database (http://help.beatunes.com/kb/troubleshooting/beatunes-does-not-start... tells you where it is). However, because iTunes usually uses different keys on a different computer, it does not make sense to migrate it to a new computer—all the references would be broken.

If you're concerned about data like BPM, key, color etc. please check out http://blog.beatunes.com/2013/10/so-where-exactly-does-beatunes-sto... and http://help.beatunes.com/kb/backup-and-migration/moving-to-a-new-co... .

Hope this helps,

-hendrik

9. 9 Posted by Chuck on 13 Nov, 2013 10:38 AM

THANKS!

10. hendrik closed this discussion on 13 Nov, 2013 04:14 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac