Mac Update Soon?

Ian

28 Oct, 2013 03:08 AM

When will BeaTunes be updated with Java 7 support on OS X Mavericks? Thanks

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 28 Oct, 2013 07:41 AM

Hi Ian,

If this happens, it won't happen before 2014.
    May I ask why you ask?
    For the end user the experience will be more or less the same, perhaps worse.

Thanks,

-hendrik

PS: If you want to try out a Java7 version, check out http://blog.beatunes.com/2013/09/java-7-on-os-x-round-2.html

2. 2 Posted by Ian on 28 Oct, 2013 05:25 PM

Hi Hendrik, Thanks for the info.
    Beatunes is the last Java app on Mac that still uses Java 6.
    After updating to Mavericks, I do not wish to install an outdated version of Java,
    that I cannot completely uninstall if I had to.
    To be honest, I would rather live without Java all together,
    but if I must install it for the few apps I use, I will install Java 7, which I can uninstall if need be. I was just wondering if the Java 7 version would be released soon.
    I will try the version you linked. Thanks Again

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 28 Oct, 2013 05:31 PM

Hi Ian,

the problem with Java 7 is, that until very recently it simply wasn't usable on OS X. For example, you weren't able to open files that had umlauts in their names!

This has recently changed, so it makes sense to offer a Java 7 version of beaTunes, even if the Retina support is still not all the way there—and perhaps won't be until Java 8.

Anyhow, please let me know, if you find anything wrong with the version I pointed you to.

Thanks,

-hendrik

4. 4 Posted by Ian on 28 Oct, 2013 05:42 PM

Hi Again, I don't know if maybe I have something wrong,
    I have JRE 7.45, and the Beatunes installed that you linked,
    I get a popup telling me Beatunes needs Java SE 6 Runtime installed...

Just to be clear, I want to run Beatunes with only Java 7 installed.
    I'm on Mavericks which does not have JRE 6 installed, nor do I want to install it.

Am I missing something? Thanks for the help, very much appreciated

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by hendrik on 28 Oct, 2013 05:51 PM

Hm… I guess the download for Java 6 is still triggered, even though the version I pointed you to contains its own Java 7 as a plugin.

Do you know where the main Info.plist for an application resides? If so, please exchange the beaTunes3.app one with the one that is attached.

Does that make a difference?

6. 6 Posted by Ian on 28 Oct, 2013 06:02 PM

Hi, I downloaded the plist file, opened contents of Beatunes.app and replaced the info.plist file in the resources directory. I still get the Java 6 prompt.

On a side note, since this version is bundled with Java 7, do I still need my separate Java 7 installed in the system preferences? It would be nice if I did not.

Thanks!

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by hendrik on 28 Oct, 2013 06:07 PM

Hm.. You mean the Contents directory, where there is also a Info.plist.template?
    Just to make sure, you have the right version, does it have a Contents/PlugIns/jre/Contents/Home directory, which contains the jre?

And yes—for this version of beaTunes you wouldn't need your own JDK.

-hendrik

8. 8 Posted by Ian on 28 Oct, 2013 06:29 PM

Hi, OK, What I did was an uninstall, then a reinstall and started over again.
    This seemed to do the trick and now all is well with the new plist file you linked.
    So Thanks very much for all the help, very much appreciated.

Can I ask, Why don't Mac Java apps come bundled with JRE to begin with?
    Another "beta" Java app I'm testing is doing the same thing, I can run the app without my own separate Java installed. This to me would be great as I do not have to install Java, and I have a clean system. I don't use Java on the web, I only use it for two apps I have on my Mac. Seems stupid for me to have to install a problematic, and unsafe Java on my fresh OS X installation just to run two cross platform apps.
    This would be the best route IMO, and I'm sure many Mac users would agree.
    But I'm guessing maybe devs are not permitted to do this?

Again, Thanks so much for you're time.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by hendrik on 28 Oct, 2013 06:48 PM

Well… a number of years ago, Steve Jobs didn't want Sun to provide Java for OS X, Steve wanted to do it himself. Do it better.
    To a degree he succeeded. Developers like me never had to worry about what JDK was installed on user's machines. If user's kept their system up to date through Software Update, things were reliable. Unfortunately, Apple also lagged behind all other platforms… often for more than a year. Then Steve decided that Java didn't suit him anymore and basically told Sun/Oracle to do it themselves. We're at the end of that transition right now.
    Because the JDK/JRE is not part of Apple's Software Update process anymore, developers now can't rely on anything Java-wise anymore on OS X. In essence, we now have the situation on OS X that we hated for so long on Windows. No matter how small your app, if you want it to run on Java, you basically have to ship it with a super bug JRE. Or risk strange errors, because users decided to install JRE XYZ that's just not 100% compatible. Or an old version or whatever.
    Also, applications that rely on Apple's Java6 are banned from the MacAppStore. So if you want to use the MAS as distribution channel, you have to bundle your JRE—there's no other way.
    Regarding security, Java is still quite safe AFAIK, if you don't run the browser plugin. Here, Java7 is probably no safer than Java6.
    Another thing about Java6—devs aren't permitted to redistribute Apple's Java6. At least not that I know of.

10. 10 Posted by Ian on 28 Oct, 2013 07:26 PM

OK, so Java 6 was controlled by Apple and was not redistributable.
    But will you be able to redistribute and bundle java 7 along with BeaTunes?
    Eliminating the need for a separate installation? I sure hope so...
    Thanks very much

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by hendrik on 28 Oct, 2013 07:28 PM

Yes.
    Just like the version I pointed you to.

12. 12 Posted by Ian on 28 Oct, 2013 07:48 PM

Also, This version seems to be working ok for me.
    I had a few hangs and had to force quit, but overall everything is working.
    I will report any issues.

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by hendrik on 28 Oct, 2013 07:54 PM

Good - thank you!

-hendrik

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac