precision of bpm

Chris Hall

24 Oct, 2013 02:30 PM

Is there a way I can increase the precision of the calculated BPM value? I would like one more (decimal) digit of the (estimated) value, and I'm willing to let the computer run as long as it wants.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 24 Oct, 2013 02:40 PM

Hi Chris,

internally more than one digit is computed, but only one digit is shown.
    This does not mean that this is a better result. Usually handmade music does not have constant, but only somewhat constant tempo. So displaying more precision may be misleading.

May I ask what you need this for?

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by Chris Hall on 24 Oct, 2013 03:14 PM

I mix dance music which is usually very constant. The pitch control on my CDJs has 0.1% increments, and since most of my music is 125--140 bpm, this means I need one more decimal digit.

It occurs to me that I could claim the bpm was in the range 65--70 and then double each reported valued. (I noticed one song was reported as half the correct value but still with three decimal digits...)

Thanks,
    Chris

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 24 Oct, 2013 03:45 PM

Hey Chris,

I guess this only makes a difference when you let your A and B deck run in sync for longer periods of time (because for just a few measures, it won't be noticeable).

Anyhow. I'm sorry, but beaTunes currently has no way of displaying more than the single digit.

-hendrik

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac