Moving iTunes Library

scottws2000

27 Sep, 2013 03:51 AM

I need to move my iTunes library a external hard drive because I have over 52,000 songs. I have been using your beaTunes and love it what do I do with your program to see the new library location? will it also remember all the info in beaTunes about the 52,000 songs?

Thank you for your help and time

Scott
please enter your message to us here

if you experienced a crash or other abnormal behavior, you might want to attach log files from /Users/Scott/Library/Logs/beaTunes

* beaTunes: 3.5.14
* JVM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
* Version: 20.51-b01-456
* Vendor: Apple Inc.
* Library: iTunes
* Memory: 92m - 5000m
* Registered as: Scott Skidmore

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 27 Sep, 2013 08:33 AM

Hi Scott,

iTunes assigns each song an id and publishes this id through a file called iTunes Music Library.xml or iTunes Library.xml and via it programming interfaces (API). As long as iTunes keeps the ids the same, everything is fine.

That said, it definitely does not keep the ids the same, if you simply create a new iTunes library. It may (I don't know this for sure) keep them the same, if you change the iTunes Media folder location in the iTunes advanced preferences. Let's say there is a slim chance...

New ids mean that the association with beaTunes gets lost. As a result, any data that isn't in the files themselves (typically, things like color and key) are lost.

To recover the data you can try three things:

1. Embed the data into the files incrementally. This can be done by checking the box Embed non-iTunes fields in the general beaTunes preferences before analysis. Just checking the box later, will not embed any data until you analyze again.
    2. Embed the data into the files in one big swoop. This can be done by opening the iTunes Tools menu and then selecting Embed non-iTunes fields. Note that this will manipulate all your music files. It is a good idea to make a backup first.
    3. Start beaTunes and select your Music folder. Then select Export Playlist from the File menu. If for some reason it is grayed out, try selecting another playlists and then go back to Music until it is not gray anymore. Then export to somewhere you will find again. After you moved your library and told beaTunes where to find the new one (via the general preferences), open the File menu and select Import from File. Select the file you exported to and import the meta data.

Hope this helps,

-hendrik

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac