Repairing Database

cpwicks10934

23 Nov, 2021 12:48 PM

My beaTunes 5.2.24
has been "repairing its database" for over an hour and says if I interrupt it the database will be corrupted. I have about 150,000 songs in my Apple Music Database which is on an external hard drive as well as the iCloud. I am running MAC Monterey operating system and Apple 1.2.0.273

Not sure how long I should wait for beaTunes to complete its repair.

Thanks for any help

Cliff

1. 1 Posted by cpwicks10934 on 23 Nov, 2021 01:44 PM

After two hours there has been no change. beaTunes is still "repairing" the database. I have decided to quit beaTunes and try to restart it later

2. 2 Posted by cpwicks10934 on 23 Nov, 2021 01:53 PM

I decided to shut everything down and restart my MAC. Started Apple Music and everything looks fine. Started beaTunes and it still wants to repair its database.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 29 Nov, 2021 08:58 PM

Hey there,

sorry for the late answer.

"Repair" is essentially a database dump and rebuilt from the dumped SQL statements. As all indices need to be re-created it might take a while. With 150k tracks even a while longer.

When you kill beaTunes, it will always attempt a repair, because killing beaTunes it typically what breaks the database.

I recommend to let beaTunes repair the database over night. Hopefully it works. If not, you'll have to rebuild the database from what's stored in the audio files, which typically takes longer (like the initial sync).

Hope this helps,

-hendrik

4. 4 Posted by cpwicks10934 on 29 Nov, 2021 09:03 PM

No problem Hendrik

I did end up rebuilding the database and all is well. My guess is that since I am using a MAC and the new Monterey operating system it may be how Monterey allocates memory to applications. So I will blame it on Apple. Why not? Ha Ha

Cliff

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by hendrik on 29 Nov, 2021 09:04 PM

Hey Cliff... I doubt Apple is to blame here, unfortunately.

6. 6 Posted by cpwicks10934 on 29 Nov, 2021 09:05 PM

Just having some humor

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by hendrik on 29 Nov, 2021 09:11 PM

:-)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac