Can Beatunes adjust the soundcheck value for Wavs in iTunes?

mister.trope

25 Jun, 2021 03:20 PM

I.e. using Replaygain. Thanks.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 25 Jun, 2021 04:31 PM

This is a great question!

WAV does not natively support rich metadata. In fact, beaTunes embeds ID3 data. But iTunes does not. Which means that beaTunes cannot manipulate any embedded data that iTunes honors. Also iTunes lacks a proper API for ReplayGain (as far as I know). So the short answer is probably “no”.

2. 2 Posted by mister.trope on 26 Jun, 2021 03:01 PM

Yeah so this creates a problem, if one uses EBU R 128 say to adjust values for all files in their iTunes library, then wav files will remain unadjusted and significantly louder...

3. 3 Posted by mister.trope on 27 Jun, 2021 02:33 AM

yeah so after going down the rabbit hole, the only way to do it would be to modify the itl, and the closest I got was the titl project which looks like it's abandoned (https://github.com/josephw/titl) ...I don't think there's any way of doing it TBH.

...that said, a good workaround is to use Doug's convert and replace (https://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=convertandreplace), and just change those wavs to a format that supports tags...I went with alac...it's a good script, preserves everything, even date added (it basically just re-references the original file with the converted one, good job)...also, if you want to go the whole way, and match up your old date created/modified you can use a better finder attributes to do that (https://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderAttributes/index.html) ...see "Using Dates Taken From Files of the Same Name in a Different Folder Hierarchy"...seamless, eventually :)

4. 4 Posted by mister.trope on 27 Jun, 2021 02:55 AM

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by hendrik on 29 Jun, 2021 02:48 PM

Hey there,

Doug's scripts are an awesome resource! Perhaps that's really the best way to go. Just convert WAV to Apple Lossless or FLAC and you have much better metadata support.

Thanks for posting this! :-)

-hendrik

6. 6 Posted by mister.trope on 24 Jul, 2021 09:34 PM

Yeah it's the best workaround tbh...convert wavs to aiffs is another option.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by hendrik on 25 Jul, 2021 11:49 AM

It is, but I would recommend against it, as it is not widely used in the Windows world, AFAIK.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac