Podcast that do not exist any more pop up as missing files but cannot be deleted (iTunes Trash)

Thomas

07 May, 2021 08:50 PM

Hi, beaTunes5 finds Podcasts that are not in the new Apple Music Library any longer. "Fehlende Dateien" - "Missing Files". The App iVolume does the same. Both apps, beatunes and iVolume look for Podcasts somewhere. They are not in the library, not in any playlist. As you can see on the screenshot beaTunes is referring to an old iTunes Path. The current path of the new Music app ist Music/Media.
Can anyone tell me WHERE beaTunes5 is finding PodCasts in "iTunes" that do not exist any more? I try to erase them but each time BeaTunes synchronizes they pop up again as missing files. There must be a location in the Library where Bea and iVolume are getting the old information from. Any idea? Deleting it would prevent Bea from finding them. Thanks, Thomas

1. 1 Posted by Thomas Hernadi on 08 May, 2021 06:52 AM

Hi,

need your help.

beaTunes and the app iVolume find missing podcasts that do not exist any more on my new iMac.

I imported the Music library (xml) to the Music App on my Mac Book Air for test reasons. No missing files. I created a new Music Library (empty) on my new iMac - again missing podcasts. Therefore, the music library xml does not contain old entries pointing at a path that does not exist any longer.

I suppose that both, beaTunes and iVolume are checking a file in the user library (application support or in preferences). They look it up, find the old entries and BeaTunes cannot delete them because the old path does not exist any more. It must be a file containing Podcast storage information of iTunes.

I might be able to resolve this problem but I need information from you. Where does beaTunes lookup Podcasts on a Mac? The error is not in the Music Library. beaTunes must read the information somewhere. Only about 20 podcasts are detected as missing files.

Best regards
    Thomas

PS: I erased my user name in the screenshot - so there is no blanc in the path

> Am 07.05.2021 um 22:52 schrieb beaTunes <[email blocked]>:
    >
    > Hey Thomas,
    >
    > thanks for your email. This is an automated response. Your message has been added to the queue and I'll be taking a look as soon as I can.
    > On workdays, I usually try to respond to requests within 24 hours.
    >
    >
    > Based on your email, our automated helpdesk system believes you should check out the following articles in our FAQ:
    >
    > - "Moving to a new computer" at http://help.beatunes.com/kb/backup-and-migration/moving-to-a-new-computer
    >
    > - "How to tell an iTunes-based library from a file-based one" at http://help.beatunes.com/kb/troubleshooting/how-to-tell-an-itunes-based-library-from-a-file-based-one
    >
    > - "iTunes COM Problems" at http://help.beatunes.com/kb/troubleshooting/itunes-com-problems
    >
    >
    > If this email is about a beaTunes bug, please make sure you let me know, which versions of beaTunes (and iTunes) you are using. Also, please let me know, what operating system version you are using. Please state the actual numbers and don't just say "latest". Last but not least, please let me know, whether you are using beaTunes with or without iTunes.
    >
    > I'll send an email to you (at [email blocked]) when I update your request.
    >
    > Thank you!
    >
    > tagtraum industries incorporated
    > https://www.beaTunes.com/
    > https://www.tagtraum.com/

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by hendrik on 08 May, 2021 12:20 PM

Hi Thomas,

the beaTunes version you are using does not use the iTunes/Music.app XML file anymore, but instead imports all data via Apple's iTunes Library framework. If said framework says there is a podcast, then beaTunes shows it.

Do the podcasts show up in the UI? Or just in the missing track inspection?

I have seen before that some podcasts show up in beaTunes, if they have been part of playlists (or smart playlists). Then Apple apparently didn't know exactly what to do with the tracks. You can find out, whether a track is part of a playlist by right-clicking on it in the beaTunes table view. Any playlists it is part of are then displayed.

Hope this helps somehow,

-hendrik

3. 3 Posted by Thomas Hernadi on 08 May, 2021 02:51 PM

Hi Hendrik,

thanks for your fast reply and the valuable information. The songs have never been part of a playlist or smart playlist. You can see on the screenshot that „in Wiedergabeliste anzeigen“ (show in playlist) is greyed out.

I remember that I downloaded a couple of Podcasts in an earlier iTunes Version. I kept others just as a link. I cannot remember whether or not the listed podcasts were the ones I downloaded or the ones with the links. I still do have other Podcast-Links in my current Music-Library. They have never been transferred to the new Podcast App and I can still play them within Music (the links are still active).

So, BeaTunes and iVolume access the iTunes Library framework. Inside there must be wrong information. I assume that I cannot access the inside like in a PLIST-File or manipulate it with an editor. The strange thing is that (see first screenshot that I sent you) the missing files have a reference to an old path that does not exist any longer. Therefore, the wrong information must have been stored in this „framework" prior to migration to the new Music App.

When I go my new iMac (Intel 6 core) I created a new Music Library because I wanted to get rid of the old „iTunes folder“ (because iTunes does not exist any more - pure cosmetics because Apple let the users keep their old files in „iTunes“ and created the folder „Music“ in addition to that as a subfolder of „Media"). All songs and links to not missing Podcasts (that are still acessible online) have been successfully imported. I just fail to comprehend why those missing podcasts were kept in the memory of the iTunes Library framework. I vaguely remember that right after the import to the new Music App I found out that a few podcasts did not work any longer (dead internet links). So I deleted them within the Music App. Although I deleted them they must have been kept in the iTunes Library framework. Perhaps a case for the Apple Support (second level?).

Just for test reasons I imported the new Music Library into the Music App of my Macbook Air and checked with iVolume (don’t have Bea on the Air) - no missing files. I created a new empty Music Library (ALT + Start the Music App). Bea and iVolume found the missing files although the new library was empty. Therefore, the missing Postcasts must be stuck in a user related systemwide file NOT related to a specific Music Library.

But if you say that Bea only access the framework and no other PLIST or whatever file in the user library I guess there is nothing we can do about it :-(. If you have another idea I’d be grateful.

Ah… Can I kill the iTunes Library framework? Is it a file of package? Where the heck is it? It can’t be related to my iTunes account because on my Macbook Air those podcasts don’t shop up as missing. It must be a file or package on my iMac. I would not bother killing (erasing) it because I can re-import all my songs and I saved all playlists in „Mediathek.xml“.

Best regards
    Thomas

4. 4 Posted by Thomas Hernadi on 15 May, 2021 09:26 PM

Hi Hendrik,

you were right. All the missing previously downloaded Podcasts (MP3) are part of the intelligent playlists „Podcast“ (genre). They don’t show up in the same playlist in the Music App - only in BeaTunes.

According to the Apple second level support the iTunes library framework is „read only“. However, the funny thing is that I was able to bulk rename the genre from „Podcast“ zu „missing“ within BeaTunes :-) but I can’t delete them.

Best regards
    Thomas