How do I exclude audiobooks?

tvogelaar

09 Feb, 2021 09:36 AM

Back in the iTunes days, I used to have both music and audiobooks in iTunes. Then came macOS Catalina (and Big Sur); nowadays my music is in the Music app and my audiobooks are in the Books app. But still beaTunes tries to include those audiobooks in its inspections/analyses. It tries to determine the BPM of spoken audio and lists the book genres among the rarely used genres. Is there a way to exclude those files from beaTunes?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 09 Feb, 2021 12:57 PM

Hey there,

in the preferences for Analysis and Inspection (screenshots) you can exclude tracks by type. Note that the exclusion for Analysis only applies when analyzing all or newly added tracks, but not when selecting tracks manually for analysis.

Hope this helps,

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by tvogelaar on 09 Feb, 2021 01:10 PM

Thanks for the reply, Hendrik.

The strange thing is: all of these checks are checked in both the Analysis & Inspection tabs. There is even an entry for "Audiobooks" in the "Exclude Genres" list. However, they do occasionally show up. If I understand it right: a check means 'exclude audiobooks' and no check means 'include them', right?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 09 Feb, 2021 01:27 PM

If I understand it right: a check means 'exclude audiobooks' and no check means 'include them', right?

Yes.

However, they do occasionally show up.

Where precisely? Can you send a screenshot? Inspection and Analysis are two very different animals (in terms of code).

4. 4 Posted by tvogelaar on 09 Feb, 2021 01:46 PM

Ah, I see what's happening now. I have a smart playlist in the Music app called 'not yet analysed'. It includes all the tracks without BPM. In Music.app it contains 2054 songs but when I look at the same playlist under the Library tab in beaTunes, it lists 2127 tracks. Those 73 extra tracks are audiobooks.

I guess there is no way to exclude them from appearing in the Library, is there?

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by hendrik on 10 Mar, 2021 01:16 PM

I guess there is no way to exclude them from appearing in the Library, is there?

Not that I know of. Sorry.

(and sorry for the late answer)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac