"Color" song matching question

Richard

14 Sep, 2020 05:13 AM

Hello Hendrik,

I'm back with another question on song matchlists.

I was experimenting with matching on Color only. I selected the song "Hello" by Lionel Richie. First, I sorted my library on color and looked to see what songs were adjacent to Hello, figuring that they would be essentially the same color as Hello. But sorting and selecting that way isn't very convenient, so I made a Match Ruleset with just 2 parameters: "Color" at 5.0 and "Year of publication" at 1.0 because I wanted to avoid songs that were far removed in time from Hello. The results confused me, and that is my question.

On the "sort" list, the song "In the Flesh" by Blondie was only 5 songs away from "Hello", meaning an essentially identical color. With a year of 1981 (compared to 1983 for Hello), I expected In the Flesh to appear somewhere in the ruleset match (very close on color, pretty close on year). But it didn't. Instead, I got songs that were kind of close on color (it's a green shade) and ranged from 1972 to 1995. So the ruleset matches are pretty good, but I don't understand why "In the Flesh" isn't in the result set (set to 50 songs, including the seed song). The color is a very close match and the year is certainly in the range of songs that made it into the result set.

If I hover over the songs, these are the Color values I see:
Hello: rgb=5:167:90, hsb=107:247:167, year=1983
In the Flesh: rgb=4:159:87, hsb=107:248:159, year=1981
Casualties of Glass: rgb=3:147:53, hsb=99:249:147, year=1981
("Casualties of Glass" by Martha & the Muffins is the #2 song in the Matchlist result set, after the seed song) Casualties of Glass is a good match (both on the numbers and on how it sounds). But it appears that In the Flesh is a closer match, yet it doesn't show up at all in the 50 returned songs.

There were other significant differences in the 2 groups, but it would be the same question, so I'm just focusing on one instance.

Any thoughts as to why that might be? I'm just curious.

Thanks,
Richard

PS: My Match Quality was set to 50%. I usually set it to 60%, but I forgot to do that this time. Still, would that make a difference? I probably don't fully understand what Match Quality does.

PPS: I'm on beaTunes 5.2.13, the current version.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac