To use Online Resources or not?

Richard

17 Jul, 2020 04:31 PM

Hendrik:

As you know, I've been working with the various analysis tasks a lot lately. Some tasks have the option to use Online Resources. I have two questions.

The use of Online Resources necessarily depends on the ability to match my song against a reference song in the online database. So my question here is, how certain is the song matching algorithm? How confident should I be in general that my song will be properly matched to its online mate, therefore, receive the correct metadata?

My other question concerns quality (i.e., accuracy) of the metadata for BPM, color, and key. (Online Resources are also available for danceability, similarities/segments, and language of lyrics. I'm less interested in those as I don't use them atm.) Assuming 100% matching accuracy, is the online metadata in those 3 categories "better" than what would be computed just based on my own files?

In that regard, I currently am using Online Resources for color but not for BPM or Key. My thinking is that BPM and key are partially related to the accuracy of the rip and of the original recording, especially for vinyl rips where the turntable speed may not be calibrated perfectly. With CDs you don't have that problem, but sometimes the transfer to the CD can vary from release to release. (I'm thinking of compilations from various sources, some more reputable than others, even among commercial product.) So my recording might match the reference song but still be different because it was ripped slightly too fast or too slow. If that were the case, the Online BPM and key might not technically be correct for my own mp3 file. And finally, I have a lot of obscure songs in my collection. So I'm thinking it's possible that the locally-generated data for my one file might actually be of higher quality than the online reference which itself might have come from only one or two previous submissions from sources of unknown quality.

I'm bringing the latter question up partly because I noticed a song I sent to AcousticBrainz. beaTunes flagged it as key E-minor. AB had it as A-major with 70% certainty. I don't have the musical skill to independently assess the key myself. I realize that all of these analysis tasks are an imperfect science. I'm just trying to get the best results possible, and minimize the introduction of bad metadata into my files.

This is not a high priority question, and I've taken up a lot of your time lately with various issues. I was just wondering. Any thoughts you have will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Richard

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 17 Jul, 2020 06:12 PM

The use of Online Resources necessarily depends on the ability to match my song against a reference song in the online database. So my question here is, how certain is the song matching algorithm? How confident should I be in general that my song will be properly matched to its online mate, therefore, receive the correct metadata?

You can be pretty certain. However, always keep in mind:

1. Often recordings are released on multiple album at different times. So there is usually more than one answer to release year and album. Often the answer is wrong. So never replace the album name unless you know it's wrong.
    2. Never trust the database more than what you already know is true. Be super careful when replacing metadata.
    3. Keep a backup, as mass import metadata operations cannot be undone.

My other question concerns quality (i.e., accuracy) of the metadata for BPM, color, and key. (Online Resources are also available for danceability, similarities/segments, and language of lyrics. I'm less interested in those as I don't use them atm.) Assuming 100% matching accuracy, is the online metadata in those 3 categories "better" than what would be computed just based on my own files?

Most of the time the "online" data is what the people computed with beaTunes and submitted to the central database. So no, you're usually better off computing the data yourself. But you can save time, by simply downloading the data.

2. hendrik closed this discussion on 24 Jul, 2020 07:09 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac