normalisation of my music library – best settings?

Lars

13 Nov, 2019 09:28 PM

Hello everybody,

I'd like to use beaTunes for normalising my music library to the same volume. Just to be sure: What are the best settings for this? Speed isn't an issue, I'd like the best result possible.

In detail: I'm not sure if I should ReplayGain2 or EBU R128 – I'm tending to EBU R128, but would be nice to get your opinion on this. Is this also around 89db or much quieter? If second, this maybe could become a problem that - even at maximum volume – my music is played too quiet ...

Will the changes also apply to Apple Music matched tracks and already uploaded mp3s to the iCloud music library? In both cases, my iOS devices won't take the "physical" audio file from my hard drive when syncing, but either download from their own sources (when matched AAC) or the version which was already uploaded to iCloud music library uploaded BEFORE running beaTunes normalization (when unmatched mp3s). Which means: If only the id3 tag of the file is re-written, this probably won't work – there need to be change in some kind of "normtag" in Apple Music, too, so that it know how to play it ... (Apples "same volume" option is turned on, of course)

Will these changes also apply to iCould matched library tracks? In this case, Apple takes the AAC directlycloud on my iOS devices – and not takes the

Thanks so much in advance for your help – keep up the great work! Best from Germany!

1. 1 Posted by Lars on 13 Nov, 2019 09:34 PM

Sorry so much – I typed too fast and there seems to be no edit function as I am not registered ...

Here's my post again with the biggest mistakes corrected:

Hello everybody,

I'd like to use beaTunes for normalising my music library to the same volume. Just to be sure: What are the best settings for this? Speed isn't an issue – I just like to get the best result possible.

In detail: I'm not sure if I should ReplayGain2 or EBU R128 – I'm tending to EBU R128, but would be nice to get your opinion on this. Is this also around 89db or much lower? If second, it maybe could become a problem that - even at maximum volume – my music is played too quietly ...

Will the changes also apply to Apple Music matched tracks and already uploaded mp3s to the iCloud music library? In both cases, my iOS devices won't take the "physical" audio file from my hard drive when syncing, but either download from their own sources (when matched AAC) or the version which was already uploaded to iCloud music library BEFORE running beaTunes normalization (when unmatched mp3s). Which means: If only the id3 tag of the file is re-written, this probably won't work – there needs to be a change in some kind of "cloud" normtag in Apple Music, too, so that it knows how to play it ... (Apple's "same volume" option is turned on, of course)

Thanks so much in advance for your help – keep up the great work! Best from Germany!

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by hendrik on 14 Nov, 2019 03:07 PM

I'm not sure if I should ReplayGain2 or EBU R128 – I'm tending to EBU R128

Those are actually the same standards, just different target reference levels.

Will the changes also apply to Apple Music matched tracks and already uploaded mp3s to the iCloud music library?

Only songs that are locally available and not DRM-crippled can be analyzed. beaTunes does not interact with iCloud at all. iTunes/Music may upload stuff, but that's beyond the control of beaTunes.

In both cases, my iOS devices won't take the "physical" audio file from my hard drive when syncing, but either download from their own sources (when matched AAC) or the version which was already uploaded to iCloud music library BEFORE running beaTunes normalization (when unmatched mp3s). Which means: If only the id3 tag of the file is re-written, this probably won't work – there needs to be a change in some kind of "cloud" normtag in Apple Music, too, so that it knows how to play it ... (Apple's "same volume" option is turned on, of course)

This is a problem of the Apple ecosystem and beyond the scope of beaTunes. Unfortunately, Apple does not document many things very well, so I cannot really give you informed answers. My guess would be that Apple simply ignores locally stored normalization information. But that's just my guess. You should probably ask Apple how their products and services behave.

3. 3 Posted by Lars on 14 Nov, 2019 03:17 PM

Thanks for the answer, very appreciated. Of course only the locally available (non-DRM) files can be analysed, of course – however I was under the impression that beaTunes not (only) changes the volume in the id3 tag of the mp3, but (also) in the iTunes/Music tag for this song within the library file which would indeed be followed even if I play the song from some other device with my AM account from the cloud. (I thought that's what "iTunNorm" is about which is even mentioned in one of your settings.) Judging by your answer this isn't the case which would be a pity, but it is as it is. (And maybe even not possible – it definitely was with iTunes before, though, the program "iVolume" did it.)

Thanks again for your answer, will keep on trying out beaTunes!

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by hendrik on 14 Nov, 2019 03:27 PM

however I was under the impression that beaTunes not (only) changes the volume in the id3 tag of the mp3, but (also) in the iTunes/Music tag for this song within the library file

Not quite. beaTunes does change the ReplayGain tag and also the iTunNORM tag. Both are technically ID3 tags.

which would indeed be followed even if I play the song from some other device with my AM account from the cloud.

I'm not so sure about that.

Judging by your answer this isn't the case which would be a pity, but it is as it is.

I simply don't know, but would assume that Apple does not sync iTunNORM across devices. Some genius in an Apple store should know.

And maybe even not possible – it definitely was with iTunes before, though, the program "iVolume" did it.

If iVolume succeeded at this, perhaps there is hope that Apple does sync the tag.

Thanks again for your answer,

You're very welcome.

5. 5 Posted by Lars on 14 Nov, 2019 03:52 PM

Thanks again for your answer – I'll keep on doing research on this topic. I was under the impression that iVolume indeed sets a volume tag with the personal iCloud music library for every track (after having analyzed the "local" version on the hard drive), but I have to admit that I am not 100% sure of that anymore. What I know is, though, that normalising would be worthless for me if it doesn't work that way. I keep my whole music library as "physical" files of my main computer – which I also use to have them analyzed – but as an Apple Music user, they aren't copied from my computer to my iOS devices anymore when syncing (like in the old days), but downloaded from the cloud on every device. If it isn't possible to set the volume level for every song within a meta tag file for the whole service the only files it would work on for me would be new unmatched files which aren't found on Apple's own music catalogue, therefore uploaded from my computer into the cloud (and distributed to my other devices from there as this original file) - and previously normalised by me with beaTunes, of course ...

Sorry for talking so confusing, no native speaker. Will keep on researching and probably buy beaTunes anyway! :) Looks like a greta program with great features.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by hendrik on 14 Nov, 2019 06:38 PM

Sorry for talking so confusing, no native speaker.

Deutsch geht notfalls auch. :-)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac