I still see the fingerprint icon.
I opened beaTunes new just now. I "Got Info" on the first song displayed, and then clicked ">" to see the next songs. Of the 50-ish songs I looked at, only 1 did not have the icon. I pulled that one up in mp3tag (where if you display "Extended tags" you can see details on all of the tags in the file), and that particular song does not have the BEATUNESPRINT tag, but the others I looked at do have the tag. So that corresponds to beaTunes displaying the icon consistent with the presence or absence of the tag in the mp3 file itself, at least for the ones I looked at.
Most of the songs in my test set do have the fingerprint tag. I guess at least a few of them don't.
On Friday, October 11, 2019, 10:46:21 AM CDT, hendrik <[email blocked]> wrote:
hendrik on 12 Oct, 2019 09:52 AM
You know... when you open the Get Info dialog, beaTunes attempts to look up metadata. For that it uses the existing metadata. If nothing can be found, it automatically computes a fingerprint and uses it for lookup. The fingerprint is then also stored in the songs (i.e., database and file). Perhaps that's what you are seeing.
So, it appears we have 4 cases to consider when a user does "Get Info" on an mp3 file in a folder-based library. (I'm putting my [retired] analyst hat on and constructing these use cases based on what you said below, plus observations on a sample of my files. I'm necessarily approaching this as a "black box" situation.) Is this what happens in each case?
#1 precondition - Fingerprint in the metadata + fingerprint already stored in the db.#1 action - beaTunes sees fingerprint metadata. Fingerprint icon is displayed. beaTunes sees a fingerprint in db for the track. It does not check to see if the metadata fingerprint matches the db fingerprint. The end.
#2 precondition - Fingerprint in the metadata + fingerprint NOT already stored in the db.#2 action - beaTunes sees fingerprint metadata. Fingerprint icon is displayed. beaTunes does not find a fingerprint in db for the track. beaTunes does not compute a "new" fingerprint [that's a guess on my part]. Instead, beaTunes inserts the metadata fingerprint value into the db. (The next time this track is handled by "Get Info", it becomes case #1 above as the fingerprint would now be stored in the db.) The end.
#3 precondition - Fingerprint NOT in the metadata + fingerprint NOT already stored in the db.#3 action - beaTunes does not find a fingerprint in the metadata. It computes one and "uses it for lookup". (These are your words. I'm not sure what that means exactly.) It does not insert fingerprint metadata into the music file. It does not display an icon. It does not find a fingerprint in the db. beaTunes computes a fingerprint value and inserts it into the db (per what you said below). (The next time this track is handled by "Get Info", it becomes case #4 below as the fingerprint would now be stored in the db.) The end.
#4 precondition - Fingerprint NOT in the metadata + fingerprint already stored in the db
#4 action - beaTunes does not find a fingerprint in the metadata. It computes one and "uses it for lookup". (Again, your words.) It does not display an icon. It does not insert fingerprint tag into the file. It sees a fingerprint in the db. The end.
I will say I don't think I have the actions described correctly because some of them don't make sense to me, notably that there actually is a db insert in cases #2 and #3.
What I can say, based on observation of a handful of my own files, is that the icon is definitely not displayed in cases 3 & 4, and (using mp3tag v 2.98 as an inspection tool) I do not see evidence of fingerprint metadata being inserted into the file in cases 3 & 4. (It could be that I'm using mp3tag incorrectly or that mp3tag isn't a good tool for this purpose.)
Yes, I did go to nerd school.
On Saturday, October 12, 2019, 4:52:50 AM CDT, hendrik <[email blocked]> wrote:
I decided to take the plunge and Delete Fingerprints on my regular library. I'm pleased to say the results were consistent with my earlier tests, even better.
The pre-Delete library db size was 11,221,720 KB, this after being reduced somewhat by the upgrade from v 5.14 to 5.2.0. The folder-based library itself has 374,388 items, which worked out to 30 KB of db per library item.
The Delete itself took 10 minutes to run. I then shut down beaTunes, and it took 4 minutes to complete the shutdown. The immediate post-shutdown db size was reduced to 9,541,220 KB. Knowing how beaTunes allocates time at shutdown to do further db maintenance, I cycled through 27 more open/close iterations to arrive at a final db size of 2,943,188 KB, a 74% reduction. Remarkable!
Hendrik, thanks again for implementing this option. beaTunes is now SO much more responsive. Honestly, with my library size beaTunes just wasn't usable on an everyday basis due to the sluggishness, even with the db residing on an SSD. Based on my experience so far, that is no longer the case. I'm looking forward to being able to take advantage of beaTunes' many features on a routine basis.