Searching with an apostrophe

Richard

14 Jun, 2021 03:19 PM

Hi Hendrik:

Is there a problem if one searches with a string that includes an apostrophe? I'm thinking there is.

I'm searching on Name. I have the entire library displayed (i.e., no search filter in effect). I type in my desired search term. In this case it is "i'm sure" (with no quotes). I am very careful to type it without error. At that, beaTunes is unresponsive for 5-10 minutes, but using Task Manager, I can see it is working. Eventually, it displays results, but not the 11 songs I expected, but instead 132393 songs - the common denominator seems to be that every title has an "i" in it. (I took a screen cap: attached. And I uploaded logs at this point.)

Then my attention was diverted as I was typing this, only to discover, beaTunes on its own now shows the 11 tunes I expected the "i'm sure" search to find. (I took another screen cap and uploaded the logs again. The 2 screen caps were taken 6 minutes apart and the logs also uploaded about 6 minutes apart.)

It appears that typing an apostrophe causes beaTunes to start searching using whatever came before the apostrophe. And then, after it display those results, it dumps those and shows the results from the full search term? I'm guessing based on observation.

In either case, I wish it wouldn't do that. For a large library like mine, it causes the program to be unresponsive for many minutes.

I am on beaTunes v5.2.23, Windows 8.1 OS, folder-based library, 425522 items in the library, granting beaTunes use of 6GB of RAM. (I have 32GB in total.)

Thanks,
Richard Patton

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 15 Jun, 2021 07:29 AM

Hi Richard,

beaTunes starts searching as soon as you stopped typing for a short time. So being extra careful while typing probably has triggered the search before you finished. Note that beaTunes does not require you to type Enter at the end to start the filtering.

Hope this explains what you are seeing,

-hendrik

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• 2021-06-14_09_58_12-beaTunes_5.2.23.png 150 KB
  • 2021-06-14_10_04_09-beaTunes_5.2.23.png 61.6 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac