hendrik on 30 Dec, 2020 02:31 PM
my assumption is that this is supported for the current version of beatunes, is that correct?
I have not been able to test this myself, but from what I hear, beaTunes should run on an M1 without problems, but not natively. I.e. it will use Rosetta2. Please report any issues you might encounter.
My understanding is that beatunes maintains a database rather than embedding items into song files.
That's really only half the truth.
beaTunes does maintain a database with all the metadata mostly because it is not feasible to always search through all your files.
When using beaTunes in conjunction with Music.app or iTunes, beaTunes will communicate all changes to Music.app/iTunes, if Music.app/iTunes supports the changed property. Note that for example the Key is not supported by these programs. Key is therefore stored in the beaTunes database and, if so configured, also in the file (i.e. values are embedded). You can read more about it here. So if you turned on embedding before analysis, all data should also be stored in your audio files and not only in your database.
If so, do I need to migrate the current beatunes database or can these tags be embedded I have mainly MP4a and MP3 files.
As stated above, if all fields were embedded, i.e. embedding was turned on before analysis, you could simply create a new beaTunes database on your new computer and beaTunes should find all the interesting values in your audio files.
About copying a beaTunes database: When using a Music.app/iTunes-based library, beaTunes uses the persistent ids from Music.app/iTunes to connect values in the database to tracks in Music.app/iTunes. When you create a brand new Music.app/iTunes library on a new computer, Music.app/iTunes will assign new persistent ids to each track. I.e. whatever is in the beaTunes database cannot be connected to that library anymore. If you wanted to simply copy the beaTunes database (which is possible), you need to make sure that Music.app does not create a new library, but uses your old one and that all paths are identical.
I order to prepare for using beatunes to manage the Sound Check value, I ran the screenshot below across all 27k+ songs in my my library. I did check prior to the exercise, and noted that if I ran this on a song in beatunes and then opened the get info in iTunes that the ‘volume’ item was updated, this is also how to managed to get the setting below.
The whole run did take about 6 hours, and to speed up the process I eliminated all the other analyse settings.
I have though noticed that all the songs reflect the modified date of yesterday, as I thought it was changing a file attribute this would get changed, it did on my first trial runs, but then I had all of the other analyse settings enabled as normal runs.
More importantly though, I have just gone to synchronise my iPhone with iTunes, which holds around 8k songs from my main library. The sync did not find any updates.
I am begging to feel like I don’t understand this process.
Thanks for the response, yes it’s iTunes based library. I thought normalisation was effectively writing into the iNORMtag which is an iTunes file tag. I can check the embed setting once back at my computer.
hendrik on 05 Jan, 2021 01:17 PM
if embedding is on, iTunes has Soundcheck turned on, and this is an iTunes-based library, it's exactly like you say: beaTunes should update the iTunNORM tag.
You can verify this by comparing the Track ReplayGain level beaTunes shows (in one of the columns) with the value iTunes shows in the file info dialog.
Regarding sync—perhaps iTunes is not smart enough to realize that the gain adjustment has been changed until it plays (or otherwise opens) the file. iTunes does not constantly monitor files for changes and I am not sure it pays attention to file modification dates.
hendrik on 04 Feb, 2021 09:02 PM
sorry, for not getting back to you earlier. It seems that beaTunes wasn't able to talk yo Music.app anymore. I'd recommend restarting both Music.app and beaTunes and turning automatic synchronization on window activation (in beaTunes general preferences) off. This means, you should synchronize manually every now and then via File -> Synchronize.
I noticed something else is not working with Lyrics. I know beatTunes uses Musicmatch, I tested a famous track “Kiss from a Rose” by Seal. I ran beaTunes analyse and it found no lyrics as noted in the log. When I did a search of Musicmatch it is there. It seems something is broken.