move Beatunes to new pc

watersource67

02 Dec, 2020 03:44 PM

I am using Beatunes 5 on a Windows 10 pc. I have an iTunes based library and try to find out what is the best method to move Beatunes (and iTunes) to the new pc. The hard disk with my music I will also build in my new pc with same drive letter.

Thanks for your help on this,

Kind regards,
René

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 02 Dec, 2020 03:48 PM

What about the hard disk with your iTunes library files (not the music files, the database files)? Will it also make its way to the new PC?

2. 2 Posted by watersource67 on 02 Dec, 2020 03:58 PM

The hard disk containing the itunes and Beatunes software (and library) will not move (at least not initially)

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 02 Dec, 2020 04:00 PM

Then iTunes will compute all new internal ids for your tracks which beaTunes cannot tie to any information. This means that whatever information that is not in your audio files will be lost. Also all your iTunes playlists, BTW.

Which information exactly would you like to migrate? Audio features (BPM, key, etc.)? Regular playlists, Matchlists, ..?

4. 4 Posted by watersource67 on 02 Dec, 2020 10:56 PM

I would like to keep as much information available as possible that is now stored in Beatunes.
    On a side note, how can I transfer my Beatunes license key to the other pc?

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by hendrik on 03 Dec, 2020 08:42 AM

I would like to keep as much information available as possible that is now stored in Beatunes.

Alright. I highly recommend to not create a fresh iTunes library, but to properly move it. Apple has a guide for this: https://support.apple.com/guide/itunes/move-your-itunes-library-to-...

If you follow Apple's advice, all ids should be preserved, which means that the connection between beaTunes and iTunes should also be preserved.

To move beaTunes, first copy all files from C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\tagtraum industries to the same location on your new PC. Obviously, <username> must be replaced with your real username. Then install beaTunes and use your license key to register it. Do this after you managed to restore your iTunes library.

FYI: You might also want to read https://blog.beatunes.com/2013/10/so-where-exactly-does-beatunes-st... in case you are interested in embedding analysis results.

6. 6 Posted by watersource67 on 04 Dec, 2020 01:12 PM

Thanks for your help,
    I could install iTunes without problems, the library was recognized instantly. After this I have installed Beatunes and entered my registration key. When I now open Beatunes it asks me what kind of library i would like to create. I would have expected that it would recognize my existing library?
    I have a new user on the new pc, from user rene it went to rvand as user. So I have copied the files to folder c:\Users\rvand\AppData\Local\tagtraum industries\.
    Did I miss something that the library is not recognized or ar additional steps required maybe?

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by hendrik on 04 Dec, 2020 01:57 PM

I would have expected that it would recognize my existing library?

Please try to create an iTunes-based library.
    If everything is in place, it should then read your existing data.

Please let me know how it goes.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac