errors installing beatunes 5.2.5

Richard

17 Jan, 2020 07:10 AM

Hendrik,

When I opened beaTunes, it advised me there is a new version. I downloaded and tried to install 5.2.5 (x64), upgrading from 5.2.4. The installation failed. I didn't make a note of the error messages the first 2 times I ran the installer. The third time, the error message is in a dialog box saying "Error opening file for writing: C:\Program Files\beaTunes5\beaTunes5.exe Click to Abort (etc.)" after running through part of the installation. Then I decided to uninstall beaTunes. I said "no" to removing BPM and other generated data. Then I ran the installer again. I got the same error message as the prior attempt. "Retry" didn't do any good. I Aborted and Cancelled.

Then I went to the Old BeaTunes download page, hoping to try to reinstall the 5.2.4 version, but the most recent "old" version there is 5.1.14 from 2 years ago, so I didn't download that.

Then I thought I would uninstall the partial installation again, but the uninstaller wasn't registered. So I went to the Program Files\beaTunes5 folder and tried to run "uninstaller.exe" from there, but got the error message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Finally, I remembered that I never deleted the 5.2.4 installer from my PC. I ran that without error messages. But when I tried to open the program as the final step of the installer, nothing happened. I tried to open beaTunes from the old 5.2.4 desktop icon, but got the same ""Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." error message as before.

So now I do not have a working installation of beaTunes. Assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Richard

PS- I made a new backup copy of my db after doing all the above, just in case.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 17 Jan, 2020 08:59 AM

Hey Richard,

at this point I am not sure what's the best advice. I'd restart my computer, download 5.2.5 again (it works just fine for other people) and run the installer.

If the installer does not work, please send a screenshot of the error message.

If the installer succeeds, please start beaTunes. If it gives you any trouble, again please send a screenshot of the error message.

Thanks,

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by Richard on 17 Jan, 2020 04:31 PM

It must have been some problem with my PC. I restarted, cleaned up all traces of the prior installation except my db and plug-in files/folders, and restarted again. This time the previously downloaded 5.2.5 install worked fine, the only tiny problem being that it did not create a desktop shortcut. I made my own, so I'm good to go.
    It's doing the lengthy synchronization now, and as I am writing this reply, beaTunes popped up a dialog box saying "Error" (on my main monitor) and another one showing "Question" (on my 2nd monitor, which is where I have the main beaTunes window), but both boxes are otherwise empty. I'm not able to close the Question box - pressing the "X" has no effect, nor does alt-F4. I can't close the Error box because the Question box has the focus. I'm attaching 2 screen caps. I had to go into Process Hacker (Task Manager substitute) and terminate the single beaTunes process.
    I ran beaTunes again and started synchronizing. This time, it's doing the fast synchronization (hooray!), and it completed the task without further problem. It all seems to be working now. An odd sequence of events.

On Friday, January 17, 2020, 3:00:03 AM CST, hendrik <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 18 Jan, 2020 08:27 AM

Hm. I don't know what to say about those error messages and am glad it mysteriously works again! :-)

Have a great weekend!

PS: For the future: the most important thing to remember about the installer on Windows is to first quit beaTunes and then run the installer.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac