Rhythm

Ed W

18 Feb, 2023 10:28 PM

Thanks so much for creating such a great app. It's amazing what it can do.

There have been several cases where the similarity colour function has been amazingly accurate - sometimes picking out tunes that have identical phrasing and sometimes a similar rhythm. Combined with key and genre and all the other metrics you have put so much effort into it gives really astonishing results. Obviously this is just great.

Currently the similarity colour search provides a range of different 'similarities', would it be possible, for example, to do an analysis that focuses simply on rhythm, using beat tracking and/or a beat histogram and get similarity results just on that?

Another idea would be to use stem separation and return similarity score for the beats only and the melody only. Is that even remotely possible? (If so that would be great for beat matching and imagine being able to match the drums of one song to the melody of another without having to spend hours finding the right songs and having Beatunes do the hard work for you.)

Sorry I'm probably getting carried away as I realise that rhythm recognition is quite hard - but it would be great to have a search result where it strictly returns songs with the same rhythm, as opposed to a bunch of songs that sound similar in other ways.

Another useful feature, for me at least, would be to connect with to playlists in Beatport link. I know 3rd party websites (such as tune my music) can do this. Then Beatunes could return results from virtual playlists too, making finding that perfect track all the more likely.

Thanks again for a great app.

1. 1 Posted by Ed W on 19 Feb, 2023 12:47 PM

Or even - again I don't know how easy this would be to implement, this is just a thought - could you have an analysis that looks for similarity in the same way as the colour function, but separates out the frequencies? So you could search for similar colours in the treble, bass or midrange. I imagine that would be easier than stem separation and would create a lot more matches.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac