Options to manage Message Queue

Richard

11 Jul, 2020 05:22 PM

I've been running a lot of songs through the Task Queue lately. I've discovered that there don't seem to be many (or any) options regarding the error message queue.

Users can react to different errors in different ways. For example, right now I am running the AcousticBrainz Submit routine. May of my songs are "failing" because of the condition "Unable to find MusicBrainz ID". As a user, there's not much I can do to remedy that situation. i just have to live with it.

Other errors, however, are correctable. For example, to address the error "Read timed out", I can simply resubmit the timed out song to the Task Queue and usually it will process OK.

My problem is this: It can be difficult to find the errors I'm interested in among the much bigger group of errors I don't care about. (I know that's a subjective assessment.) I've attached a screen shot showing a couple of "timed out" errors I found in a list of 1172 messages (and growing). To find these, I had to manually scroll down, watching for errors that aren't "Unable to find MusicBrainz ID" Notice the scroll bar to the right. These 2 errors are about halfway down the list. It would be easy to miss what I'm looking for. Plus, it's tedious.

Suggestions: I can think of a few off the top of my head.
(A) - Could there be an option to export an existing, visible group of messages messages to a txt file? At least then the user could search for error text he/she cares about.
(B) - Even better, as they are created could the messages be written to a log file that the user can easily access, in addition to writing them to the screen? Buttons to View the Log File in your preferred text editor, and to Delete the Log File would be useful features if this option were employed. In this case, a date/time stamp on each message would probably be helpful. One drawback I can think of is that the user wouldn't be able to directly access the track itself from a log, as he/she can from the message list itself - a valuable feature.
(C) - Could the on-screen message list be sorted by error type, just like column headers can be clicked to sort song listings? This might cause problems if the message list is still being written to, but it would preserve the ability to click to access the problem song in the Playlist. In this case, I suppose the error message list would have to be enhanced so that each part has its own column: the <error condition>, <track name>, and ,<error reason text> would all have to be separate, sortable columns. And I would probably add a date/time stamp here, too, making a 4th column.

Unlike some of my other suggestions that would mainly benefit just a few users with very large music collections, I think this enhancement would be more broadly applicable to power users with any decent-sized library.

1. 1 Posted by Richard on 12 Jul, 2020 06:23 PM

Giving it some more thought:

(D) Could there be a "Resubmit" function per error message? Maybe on the right-click menu where in addition to "showing in the playlist", there would be an option to "Re-queue as before". This would be a convenience in the cases of time-out and read errors. It would be even more convenient if the message queue could be sorted by error type ("C" above) so that all of the same error types would be together.

The errors I'm particularly looking for in this case are the ones that say "java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out" (example shown in attached image above) and "java.io.FileNotFoundException:" followed by a filename like "C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Temp\copy6362950677360790880.mp3". These are all mixed in with the "Unable to find MusicBrainz ID" errors which makes them hard to find.

I've discovered that if I just run the same analysis on the java error tracks again, they will process successfully.

I guess ideally there wouldn't be time-out or file-not-found errors. But that is something probably beyond anyone's control.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• 2020-07-11_11_50_19-Take_On_Me_-_A-ha_-_169.1_BPM_A_major_(4d).png 130 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac