Feature Suggestion: Validate Bitrate

Patch

26 Aug, 2019 12:24 PM

So, I’ve found some .mp3 files in my collection that have tags showing one bitrate, but that have actually been encoded at a lower bit rate.

I’d love a feature in BeaTunes that would allow for checking/validating the stored bitrate vs. the actual bitrate of the encoded audio.

That would allow playlists to be created to allow me to replace low bitrate files with new, high quality files.

I’m sure I have a bunch of files like this, but there’s no watch batch identify them...

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 29 Aug, 2019 06:05 AM

Hey there,

have tags showing one bitrate, but that have actually been encoded at a lower bit rate.

Typically the bit rate is not encoded in tags, but in the mp3 frame. Is it that what you meant? How can you tell that the "tags" are wrong?
    Also, there is of course variable bit rate (VBR), which means there isn't really one bitrate.

Cheers,

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by Patch on 29 Aug, 2019 10:29 AM

Yes - I meant the frame (not tag).

I’ve played some 320kbps .mp3s on great speakers and found they sounded really bad.

So, I ran a spectrum analysis on that .mp3, and the results showed that it was actually 96kbps. A-ha! I knew it...!

So this 96kbps file had been converted to 320kbps, but, obviously, retained the sound quality of the original 96kbps file.

So, short of spectrum analysing my whole library one at a time, I looked into batch verifying the bitrate. There is a piece of software which does this called “Fakin’ The Funk”, and I wondered if, seeing as BeaTunes can batch analyse tempo and key, it could also very the actual bitrate of the file (original encoding) against the displayed bitrate, to identify those files that had been re-encoded/converted to give the illusion of a hi-quality .mp3...

3. 3 Posted by Patch on 29 Aug, 2019 10:30 AM

“...could also very the actual bitrate of the file...”

That should be “verify”...

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by hendrik on 29 Aug, 2019 11:08 AM

What Fakin' The Funk does not seem trivial and would require some R&D.
    For the moment, I unfortunately cannot put that on the roadmap.

5. 5 Posted by Patch on 29 Aug, 2019 11:45 AM

Understood. Thanks for the heads-up.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac