keystroke shortcut to make the current song a Favorite, please

mr.m.kaufman

04 Jan, 2019 10:30 PM

You have a shortcut to locate the currently playing song in the library. I've added a wireless (RF) remote to my setup and can map most of its button presses to keystrokes that control beaTunes, like Space for Play/Pause, Command-Right Arrow to move ahead one song, etc.

The point being that I can be listening to my music on a remote speaker in a room at the other end of my place from the laptop that's actually playing it through beaTunes, and do everything I want with the remote. EXCEPT mark the current song as a Favorite :-(. I'd love to hit the button that sends Command-L to highlight the currently playing song, then another one to send a keystroke shortcut to mark that song as a Favorite... I would probably argue against this shortcut acting as a binary toggle, where doing it for a song that already is a Favorite would remove that flag!

This is the only action/function I want to do periodically that I can't accomplish with my remote, at the other end of my house - it's inconvenient to have to physically go to the music laptop to do it. "First World Problems" :-).

Something to consider. Thank for listening. I continue to be amazed at how well beaTunes performs, delivering music that matches my chosen mood.

1. 1 Posted by mr.m.kaufman on 10 Jan, 2019 06:14 PM

I now realize that clicks on the heart icon for a song in my library actually cycles through Favorite/Not-A-Favorite/blank with subsequent clicks. Which makes sense :-).

So ignore my earlier mention of not making the keystroke a toggle. If I can get a keystroke mapped to the current heart/favorite functionality I'd be thrilled.

Thanks for listening.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by hendrik on 11 Jan, 2019 12:32 PM

So ignore my earlier mention of not making the keystroke a toggle. If I can get a keystroke mapped to the current heart/favorite functionality I'd be thrilled.

I have actually spent some time on this the other day. As you can see in the Edit menu, there are shortcuts defined for Like and Dislike, but they don't work due to a bug. I haven't been able to resolve this bug quickly, but it's still no the todo list.

3. 3 Posted by mr.m.kaufman on 11 Jan, 2019 03:23 PM

Oh my gosh! I never saw those on the Edit menu! I had only been looking at
    the Controls...

Well, pretty good news then, once you squash that bug :-). Once they are
    working, are those two actions toggles, or one way actions? If the latter,
    I guess Undo accomplishes more or less the same thing. Cycling that song
    back to "neutral" later will still involve finding it in the library and
    clicking its heart icon to clear it regardless. I could see implementing it
    either way...

Thanks for your ongoing support and involvement! Once they're working, your
    current Edit actions are all I need :-).

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by hendrik on 13 Jan, 2019 11:04 AM

Well, pretty good news then, once you squash that bug :-)

Actually, I have been working on this on a dev version, which showed the bug I mentioned. Testing this on the production version shows: There it actually works as intended.

Please try it out!

-hendrik

5. 5 Posted by mr.m.kaufman on 14 Jan, 2019 01:27 AM

Works great :-). For my use case, where remote selection of these keystrokes is the norm, the fact that multiple entries of the shortcut do in fact toggle the setting on-off-on-off-... makes me especially wary of hitting the "Like" button for a good song more than once, as I hear it again in a week or a month. Suddenly it's not "Like"d any more :-(.

The alternative is to restrict the Like/Dislike actions to be one way no matter how many times activated, but that would almost require a third keyboard shortcut to remove the Like/Dislike setting, back to neutral!

Problems, problems... Well, I confirmed those shortcuts work, so thanks for that. Have to give my workflows a bit more thought.

6. 6 Posted by Patch on 24 May, 2019 07:58 AM

Hey,
    Did I miss something, or is this missing from the current version of Beatunes?

7. 7 Posted by mr.m.kaufman on 24 May, 2019 02:49 PM

Not that I noticed... And I solved my dilemma to ensure a song is
    definitely marked "Like". I first Dislike it (which will either toggle the
    Like/Dislike state to Dislike or neutral, depending on where it is when you
    do that), THEN Like it. That works deterministically to end up "Like"d.

-Mark

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by hendrik on 25 May, 2019 08:49 AM

Did I miss something, or is this missing from the current version of Beatunes?

No, it's not. Do you not see the shortcuts in the menu? If not, can you please post a screenshot?

Thanks.

9. 9 Posted by Patch on 25 May, 2019 08:59 AM

Here ya go:

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by hendrik on 25 May, 2019 09:00 AM

Somehow the screenshot didn't make it...

11. 11 Posted by Patch on 25 May, 2019 09:02 AM

I'll try again - here ya go:

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by hendrik on 25 May, 2019 09:06 AM

Ah... thanks. Now I remember.

Apple has completely neglected the COM API for iTunes for years and as far I as I know hasn't bothered adding new features to it. Liking a track or playlist is one of these features, which is why editing it is unfortunately not supported in the Windows version of beaTunes.

13. 13 Posted by Patch on 25 May, 2019 09:11 AM

Ouch. Thanks for the heads-up. I had plans to use like/dislike/blank but if I can't get that info into the .mp3 file then it's a bit of a lost cause. :-(

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by hendrik on 25 May, 2019 09:15 AM

AFAIK, liking is not something the macOS version of iTunes embeds into the file anyway.

When not using an iTunes-based collection, beaTunes embeds these values as TXXX (simple text) frames into mp3's, meaning it is possible to embed them, but there is no standard.

15. 15 Posted by Patch on 25 May, 2019 11:12 AM

What about when using an iTunes based library?

I can see that songs I've loved/disliked in iTunes are showing up as loved/disliked in Beatunes - could the EmbedRatings.groovy script be edited to work as EmbedLovedOrDIsliked.groovy?

It could be added to any one of a number of text tags that I currently don't use (I could use "encoded by" tag as a location for text string "HEART", and "author url" as a location for text string "DISLIKE").

16. 16 Posted by Patch on 25 May, 2019 11:24 AM

For info, iTunes calls (for LOVED):

Not Loved or disliked=default
    <key>Loved</key><true/>
    <key>Disliked</key><true/>

And for Ticked:

ticked=default
    <key>Disabled</key><true/>

17. Support Staff 17 Posted by hendrik on 25 May, 2019 12:03 PM

What about when using an iTunes based library?

On Windows, beaTunes does not support editing of these fields, because iTunes does not support it.

I can see that songs I've loved/disliked in iTunes are showing up as loved/disliked in Beatunes

Reading the values from the iTunes Library.xml file works on both Windows and macOS. But as stated above: writing is not supported on Windows (no, editing the XML file will not do the trick).

could the EmbedRatings.groovy script be edited to work as EmbedLovedOrDIsliked.groovy?

I guess so. You can always create beaTlet to take some information from somewhere and attempt to write it to a file.

18. 18 Posted by Patch on 25 May, 2019 06:02 PM

But iTunes on windows does support Love and Dislike. I can Love & Dislike songs in iTunes, and use that info to create Smart Playlists. Do you mean that iTunes does not allow Beatunes to make changes to Love and Dislike?

To clarify - what I want to be able to do, is Love or Dislike a song in iTunes, and copy that information to a vacant tag or tags in the associated .mp3 file.

I don't want to change any of the info held in iTunes - just have it held in the .mp3 file so that I can re-build my iTunes Library when I need to.

19. Support Staff 19 Posted by hendrik on 26 May, 2019 07:00 AM

But iTunes on windows does support Love and Dislike

Yes it does.

But iTunes on Windows does not offer a programming interface for them, so third party apps cannot manipulate these fields (on Windows).

Do you mean that iTunes does not allow Beatunes to make changes to Love and Dislike?

Exactly.

To clarify - what I want to be able to do, is Love or Dislike a song in iTunes, and copy that information to a vacant tag or tags in the associated .mp3 file.

beaTunes can read the value when it synchronizes. You could write a beaTlet that writes the value to (from the beaTunes database) to some field in the .mp3 file. Yes, that's possible. A simple LibraryBatchAction (very much like EmbedRtaings.groovy) could do that.

You'd have to read the loved/disliked status using getLiking() and turn the liking value to a string, then write it to some field. Within the function def void process(AudioSong song, int index) do something like this:

[...]
    AudioSong.Liking liking = song.getLiking()
    if (liking != null) {
        song.setMovement(liking.toString())   // using movement as an example
    }
    [...]

20. 20 Posted by Patch on 27 May, 2019 05:53 PM

That sounds like it’s well and truly beyond me right now.

I’d really like to thank you for all your help (and patience!) with me over all of this. I am very grateful.

There are some functions that you’ve helped me with that you should consider adding as features/include as packaged beatlets with the software. I’ve used BeaTunes for a while as a library “sanity check” (making sure all my tags are in line) but the added functionality that’s available (if you know programming, that is!) really opens up other DJ software. Unfortunately, too many DJ type users (myself included) are not able/inclined to learn how to programme in order to get the most out of BeaTunes.

If only there was a more intuitive way, maybe similar to how Smart Playlists are defined, to open up the functionality of BeaTunes for us non-programmers...

21. Support Staff 21 Posted by hendrik on 30 May, 2019 07:35 AM

That sounds like it’s well and truly beyond me right now.

It may seem daunting, but it's not that hard.

If only there was a more intuitive way, maybe similar to how Smart Playlists are defined, to open up the functionality of BeaTunes for us non-programmers...

Well, I try to make mainstream functionality easily available via the UI. But there's always a tradeoff between offering everything and cluttering the UI and leaving things out for simplicity.

22. 22 Posted by Patch on 30 May, 2019 12:49 PM

I agree. You've done an amazing job. I can do things now with my Traktor Library that I never could before.

I've also discovered that Traktor writes the star rating to the POPULARIMETER tag in the file, but the value it uses (2 digit integer or 3 digit integer) is DIFFERENT to the one that Windows Explorer uses, and that iTunes/BeaTunes uses. Some use a fixed value, and some use a range for each star rating.

I'm trying right now to find values within those ranges that will show the same star rating in all software.

There must be a way to be able to rate something in Traktor, have that same rating value written to the .mp3 file, and the same rating then copied to BeaTunes/iTunes for creating Smart Playlists from...

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac