Longevity & Recognition of BeaTunes

dzturbd

19 Dec, 2018 05:18 AM

I've had BeaTunes for a long time (I think since version 1), first as a way to tag and add BPM to iTunes songs, then as a potential replacement of iTunes, and now as THE potential replacement. I have two questions:

1. When I searched for alternatives to iTunes, no matter the keywords or phrases, BeaTunes is absent from recommendations. I've looked at all the others, and BeaTunes seems much more of a fully capable replacement, rather than just a player with tagging and playlist features (that's all the others). Feature-wise, BeaTunes seems better than iTunes. Also, BeaTunes is still being actively supported! So, why the absence of search hits?

2. …which leads me to wonder if Tagtraum Industries, Inc. is serious about BeaTunes' future. Better marketing would get more hits, which would bring more sales, more revenue, more support for more development. There's no "About" page describing your company or its development capacity, so… Is this a one-geek "shop" where there's no growth, or where any major life event (God forbid) would doom the app?

It's more than curiosity. I'd love to kick iTunes out of my life, and BeaTunes is my favorite candidate; but it's really a tough choice. It's like I've got one foot on iTunes and one on BeaTunes, and my hard-won music library of 30-years is in my backpack and there's a river and song files aren't waterproof. (I know, lame analogy) I want to know that taking my foot off iTunes and putting both feet on BeaTunes will be a solid move—because I want it to be a permanent move. I bet other iTunes refugees have similar concerns. Most are not going to search this forum. So, I wouldn't mind a reply, but I hope you will add a blog post addressing such concerns, or add an "About Us" page, and maybe contact some of these reviewers who don't seem to know about your product (or didn't get your application fee to get reviewed;)

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 21 Dec, 2018 02:23 PM

Sorry, for not answering earlier. The time before the holidays is always a little crazy.

1. .... So, why the absence of search hits?

It's simply not as popular as other free alternatives.
    People like free—a lot.
    And recently, people like streaming, which kills apps like beaTunes.

1. …which leads me to wonder if Tagtraum Industries, Inc. is serious about BeaTunes' future.

I will keep on working on beaTunes for as long as there is a reasonable market for this kind of software.

Is this a one-geek "shop" where ... any major life event (God forbid) would doom the app?

Unlike iTunes, beaTunes is not a product that's backed by a trillion dollar company—quite the opposite: it's no secret that tagtraum is a one-man-show.

Thanks for pointing out the missing "About Us" link. There has been the page http://www.tagtraum.com/corpinfo.html for years, but it wasn't linked to from the main page. I just added a link at the bottom.

It's more than curiosity. I'd love to kick iTunes out of my life

Sometimes I really wonder why people hate iTunes so much. Yes, it's bloated, but one can simply ignore much of the bloat and what's left is a halfway decent music player. Sure, it hasn't seen any truly new development in about 5 years, but still, it's a fairly reliable music player that fits well into the macOS eco system.

So I'm curious: why do you want to get rid of iTunes?

Regarding reviews: Have you seen https://www.beatunes.com/en/beatunes-reviews.html ? Every time I release a major update I put some more effort into marketing and some of that is typically picked up.

2. 2 Posted by dzturbd on 04 Jan, 2019 06:25 AM

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 6:23 AM hendrik <[email blocked]> wrote:

// Please reply above this line
    ==================================================

Sorry, for not answering earlier. The time before the holidays is always a little crazy.

No worries, thanks for the reply. The time after the holidays is also crazy, hence my delayed response. 
    1. .... So, why the absence of search hits?

It's simply not as popular as other free alternatives.
    People like free—a lot.
    And recently, people like streaming, which kills apps like beaTunes.

That's disappointing. Streaming has a place for convenience, but it will never replace personally curated playlists. Music lovers vs. music listeners:( 
    1. …which leads me to wonder if Tagtraum Industries, Inc. is serious about BeaTunes' future.

I will keep on working on beaTunes for as long as there is a reasonable market for this kind of software.

Much appreciated. There's nothing like it, so… I hope you outlive me or pass on the code to a younger developer! 

Is this a one-geek "shop" where ... any major life event (God forbid) would doom the app?

Unlike iTunes, beaTunes is not a product that's backed by a trillion dollar company—quite the opposite: it's no secret that tagtraum is a one-man-show.

They're not a trillion dollar company now. Doesn't take much of a market trend to shave off a few hundred million in valuation! Again, may you develop the product longer than I need upgrades;) 

Thanks for pointing out the missing "About Us" link. There has been the page http://www.tagtraum.com/corpinfo.html for years, but it wasn't linked to from the main page. I just added a link at the bottom.

It's good! I've never been to Germany, but cheers!

It's more than curiosity. I'd love to kick iTunes out of my life

Sometimes I really wonder why people hate iTunes so much. Yes, it's bloated, but one can simply ignore much of the bloat and what's left is a halfway decent music player. Sure, it hasn't seen any truly new development in about 5 years, but still, it's a fairly reliable music player that fits well into the macOS eco system.

I don't hate iTunes. If I want a music player it's fine. But like other Apple software, such as Numbers, Pages, and iOS…I feel they've lost their focus, followed the money away from excellent software design in favor of selling iPhones and media and I guess cars next. Not sure why album art is more important than efficient lists. And so many glitches working with sorted lists while editing song data! Very frustrating. I like that I can use BeaTunes to do all that and iTunes gets updated so I can use iTunes as a mere player. But if I do most of my playlist work in BeaTunes, iTunes really serves little purpose other than a way to get my playlists onto my iPhone, too. 

So I'm curious: why do you want to get rid of iTunes?

Just trying to simplify my life in my old age;)  I can't get rid of it. Just it's really lagging in usefulness compared to BeaTunes. I have to keep it around for a couple functions. 
  3. 3 Posted by mr.m.kaufman on 10 Jan, 2019 08:00 PM

I'll jump in. *I* found and wholeheartedly switched to beaTunes almost exclusively because its music matching capabilities put iTunes to shame. beaTunes is actually examining the music itself. iTunes seems to be based on metadata that it offers no easy way to improve, and at least partially cloudsourced "similar" song algorithms that never took me off the popular mainstream music in my library.

beaTunes was a great find for me and my priorities.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac