Running on 20 core 40 thread dual CPU workstation

Daniel Boyd

08 Sep, 2018 04:56 PM

Has anyone else run this on a workstation or CPU with more than 8 cores? I noticed the default options for parallel tasks suggest 8 parallel tasks, but I'm running this on my workstation with has two (2) Xeon E5-2630v4 CPUs. When I select 38 parallel tasks (leaving 1 core and 1 thread to run the OS, it does seem to use all cores initially and pegs my hard drive to 98% usage which is great! However, then the usage seems to drop drastically. It does not appear to be a bottleneck issue, and I assigned 12GB of RAM to the program, so not sure if many parallel tasks is something not optimized yet?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 09 Sep, 2018 01:55 PM

Hey Daniel,

what kind of bottleneck you may encounter depends on the analysis task you asked beaTunes to perform. For some highly recommended background info, please see https://blog.beatunes.com/2015/01/audio-analysis-options-explained.... (the article is for beaTunes 4, but still applies)

In essence, for some tasks the bottle neck is the disk, for others the CPU and yet for others your Internet connection. Additionally there may be artificial bottlenecks imposed by third party data providers like Discogs, which do not allow more than X requests per second.

Cheers,

-hendrik

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Windows_Usage.png 84.3 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac