File Timestamps

Richard

14 May, 2018 03:14 PM

So Hendrik, to follow on to my post on another topic, it makes me a little uneasy that beaTunes re-creates the music file when it performs an update, such as adding a BPM tag. I have other programs that simply update the "modified" timestamp of a file when a tag is added or updated. beaTunes updates both the "modified" and "created" timestamps when it does this.

Probably most of your users wouldn't care about file timestamps. I find the file creation date has some value and I don't know that I want to let beaTunes change all my file creation dates en masse. With over 350,000 music files on my system stored locally (about 2.5 TB), I try to be really careful about how they get modified, especially in batch. I've been itching for awhile now to turn beaTunes loose on my library to add its value to it, but I'm cautious (probably to a fault).

I am curious about your thoughts on this. Is there any chance that a future beaTunes release might change the footprint of how it updates existing music files? (I have a folder-based library and most of my tracks are mp3.)

Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 15 May, 2018 02:26 PM

Hey Richard,

just to make sure we are on the same page.

1. Which version of beaTunes are you using? Are you sure this is still an issue (i.e. can you reproduce it)?
    2. Which file formats have you observed new created timestamps for?

The background here is that beaTunes is using a library called JAudioTagger to read and write metadata tags. I have contributed to said library in the past (see e.g. https://bitbucket.org/ijabz/jaudiotagger/pull-requests/41/support-f...) to work towards a solution you should like. The current version of beaTunes contains those fixes.

-hendrik

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by hendrik on 15 May, 2018 02:45 PM

I should add, that the code for mp3 and other file formats in JAudioTagger is completely different. So what's true for mp3 may not be true for FLAC or AAC.

3. 3 Posted by Richard on 15 May, 2018 07:28 PM

1. I'm on beaTunes 5.1.5. I just did this 2 days ago, so I'd say it's still an issue. :) I'll work on narrowing down which update has what effect on the files. When I did the update, I was letting the analyzer perform several different updates.2. 99% of my music library is mp3. These files are mp3.
    Continued:
    I specified a new library with 1 album in it. I analyzed each of these items separately for 1 song: BPM, key, color, mood, danceability, fingerprint, in that order. In other words, I selected 1 song and ran the analysis six times, selecting a different item each time. In every case, the modified timestamp was updated but not the file created timestamp (which is good).
    Then I ran Analyze All Songs on the same library, specifying to not overwrite values, again running the analysis for just one aspect at a time. Remember that 1 song had already been analyzed. Again, each time, the Modified timestamp was updated and the Created timestamp was left alone (still good).
    Then I specified another new library folder with 1 album in it. This time I ran Analyze All Songs on the same 6 parameters as before. This time the Modified AND Created timestamps were updated. Not good. So, maybe if an analysis has been run before, the Created timestamp doesn't change, but on a "virgin" library, it does?
    I hope this helps you to continue to evaluate this situation.
    Thanks!
    Richard

To: [email blocked]
     Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 9:26 AM
     Subject: Re: File Timestamps [Suggestions #3836]

#yiv0957764570 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv0957764570 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by hendrik on 16 May, 2018 02:31 PM

Hey Richard,

just FYI: id3 v2 tagging works by embedding tags at the beginning of an audio file. Since there isn't always enough space there to add meta information without overwriting audio information, sometimes space has to be made by making the file longer and shifting audio information towards the back. In this process JAudioTagger used to create a new file, because it's simpler.

I just did some digging in the JAudioTagger code and adjustPadding() apparently still creates new files. I'll try to get this fixed. I wasn't aware of it.

-hendrik

5. 5 Posted by Richard on 16 May, 2018 03:41 PM

I think the biggest "news" that I found was that in one case, new files were not created, and in a different case they were... for essentially the same type of update. The only difference that jumped out at me was in one case, when I selected Analyze All Files, one file has already been analyzed and updated. In the other case, no files had been previously analyzed. Granted, they were different file sets, so there might be something significantly different about the two sets of files themselves. I'll look into that.
    Richard

Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 9:31 AM

#yiv5746938246 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv5746938246 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by hendrik on 19 May, 2018 06:31 PM

I've spent a little more time on this issue. See https://bitbucket.org/ijabz/jaudiotagger/pull-requests/58/support-i... Hopefully the JAudioTagger maintainer accepts the fix. It should then be included in the next beaTunes update.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by hendrik on 21 May, 2018 03:26 PM

Please try the new version 5.1.6. Can you still reproduce the problem with it?

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by hendrik on 24 May, 2018 04:47 PM

Hey Richard,

I was just wondering whether you had a chance to try out the latest release (5.1.6)?

Is this issue resolved?

Thanks,

-hendrik

9. 9 Posted by Richard on 24 May, 2018 05:15 PM

Thank you very much, Hendrik. I repeated the analysis on the same file set and am happy to report that the file identities ("create date") were unchanged. I will continue to play with the release as time permits, but the initial result looks very good. Thank you for addressing this so quickly.
    Richard

Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2018 11:47 AM

#yiv2048341548 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv2048341548 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by hendrik on 24 May, 2018 08:03 PM

Awesome!
    Thanks for making me aware of the issue in the first place.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac