iTunes & Traktor Collection

Patch

11 Jan, 2018 06:24 PM

I’m using BeaTunes and love it.

I’ve been searching for a long time for a way to manipulate the metadata that Traktor creates and stores in iTunes.

For example - I’d love to create an iTunes smart playlist that is based on the number of times a track has been played in Traktor.

It would mean comparing the Traktor Collection .xml with the iTunes Library .xml, and updating the iTunes .nml with the Traktor playcount from the Collection .xml.

Could BeaTunes be the bridge that sits between Traktor and iTunes, to allow us to manipulate the Traktor metadata in iTunes???

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. Support Staff 31 Posted by hendrik on 28 Jan, 2019 07:03 AM

I don't think collection.nml contains comments, does it?

I often update teh "Comments" tag in-line in Traktor as I'm playing, and, obviously, those comments don't show up in iTunes until I "Get Info" in iTunes, or re-import the tracks with updated comments.

Have you tried to select the files in question in beaTunes and then File -> Refresh Metadata? That should re-read info from the file itself (but does not update/refresh iTunes).

2. 32 Posted by Patch on 28 Jan, 2019 08:31 AM

Ah - good point re: Comments in the .nml. I don’t think it does.

BUT - there is a Traktor ONLY “tag” called Comments2 which does sit in the .nml.

Could we copy from the .mp3 Comments tag, to Traktor .nml Comments2, then from the Traktor .nml to the iTunes .xml?

The whole point is to get info that I have typed into Traktor available to me in iTunes to allow me to create Smart Playlists...

3. Support Staff 33 Posted by hendrik on 28 Jan, 2019 08:40 AM

Could we copy from the .mp3 Comments tag, to Traktor .nml Comments2, then from the Traktor .nml to the iTunes .xml?

iTunes never reads the iTunes Library.xml file. You'd need to pick it up from the .nml file and write it to the beaTunes AudioSong object.

Feel free to fork https://github.com/beatunes/beaTlet-samples/blob/master/groovy/Impo... make the necessary changes and send a pull request!

4. 34 Posted by Patch on 28 Jan, 2019 09:47 AM

Thanks for the response, but, honestly, I don’t know what a fork is, how to request a “pull”, nor do I understand the code at github... (Zero programming knowledge here!).

I want to automate getting the comments info out of an .mp3 (where the info was added in Traktor), and into iTunes so that I can create smart playlists based on that info.

5. 35 Posted by Patch on 28 Jan, 2019 09:49 AM

BUT ONLY on tracks that I have added comments to in Traktor...

6. Support Staff 36 Posted by hendrik on 28 Jan, 2019 09:50 AM

I'm afraid, I currently don't have the time for custom beaTlet development.
    Sorry.

7. 37 Posted by Patch on 30 Jan, 2019 08:34 PM

Understood. Thanks for everything that you’ve already done on this. I’m using it a lot and it works very well.

8. Support Staff 38 Posted by hendrik on 01 Feb, 2019 12:35 PM

I’m using it a lot and it works very well.

Great! :-)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac