iTunes Remote Play and Amazon recommendation

Viktor Fast

02 Aug, 2017 01:15 PM

Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased beaTunes and I am overwhelmed by its power to organize my music library. It is very joyful and deserves a nice place on my taskbar from now on. 

Now to my suggestion/question:
1. Is there a possibility to link the play mechanic in beaTunes to iTunes? So if i start a Song in beaTunes it plays instead in iTunes? That would bypass the problem with iCloud/Apple Music Songs, which are only available online. And in addition to the already huge beaTunes database for songs to complete their tags, this feature would definitely keep my iTunes minimized for all the time. Would be great, if that could be considered as a feature in the future, assumed it is realistic to be implemented.
2. The recommended songs for amazon won't show up like it does on beatport. Am I missing something? Would be great if that would work to get very precise recommendations beside the electric music from beatport. 

Thanks once again and best regards
Viktor

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 03 Aug, 2017 12:04 PM

1. Earlier versions of beaTunes had the kind of remote control that you are suggesting. It has been removed, because some things simply didn't work well. Like the progress/play bar. However, there should be something like Play in iTunes in the context menu (right-click on song). I wasn't aware that it was missing until just now.

Can you please try the current dev snapshot from https://www.beatunes.com/download/beaTunes-5-0-4-SNAPSHOT.dmg It contains the missing context menu item.

1. Hm... they should show up. Can you send a screenshot of what you are seeing, please?

Thanks!

2. 2 Posted by Der Bär on 04 Aug, 2017 03:31 AM

Good morning Hendrik,

thank you for your fast reply.

1. I just tried the new version and the option to play the song in iTunes
    is now placed in the context menu. But it is only visible for songs, which
    are downloaded. Is there any way, this option can also be enabled for songs
    in iCloud/Apple Music? Would be great, to keep the used space on my Macbook
    at a minimum.

2. Here is a screenshot of some songs from Jack Johnson http://d.pr/i/xab1mQ
    I don't get any recommendation of any of his songs (or any other song in my
    library), no matter if I change the ruleset [1] or the source [2] to
    "alternative & indie". I also cleared the Amazon Cache in the settings
    already, to avoid any possibility, that there might be corrupted data,
    which "could" maybe cause the empty list. For about 3-5 seconds the loading
    indicator [3] appears and then nothing else happens. Beside that, the
    Amazon Slide [4] works just fine, so it seems, the connection to Amazon in
    general works as intended.

Best regards
    Viktor

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 04 Aug, 2017 11:59 AM

Hey Viktor,

1. You're right... That didn't fix it all the way. Please download and install the latest snapshot from https://www.beatunes.com/download/beaTunes-5-0-4-SNAPSHOT.dmg It contains an additional change.

2. Amazon does provide only very limited metadata (no tempo, no key, no color, ...). So to find matches, you need to use a ruleset that can take advantage of the little information that's there. Like release year and genre. In most cases, those matches won't be great. Also note, Amazon does not provide previews. So the only thing you can really do is to click on the little a button on the left and visit the Amazon web page for the listed song (which should have a preview).

Cheers,

-hendrik

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac