Release Date Field

jhoggan301

10 Jul, 2017 06:10 AM

Hey all -

I just barely discovered a field visible on iTunes called the Release Date. I love this because there are some artists I love to have a playlist play in the order of when the song was released. Anyway, I got all excited in iTunes to update this field on many albums...but, it turns out, I can't edit it. I can't even seem to edit it by clicking twice on the field when viewing my library in "Song" form.

So my next thought - beaTunes! I bet that can change the data because it changes everything iTunes won't let me. But alas, I searched all over beaTunes for Release Date and could not find it.

So, my official suggestion - let's get the Release Date field in beaTunes and make it editable! Can it be done?

Sincerely,
Jason

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 24 Jul, 2017 02:50 PM

Hey Jason,

the release date exposed by iTunes in unfortunately read-only (r/o) as shown in the Script Editor screenshot attached. I know this is macOS, but Windows support is worse.

Sorry.

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by jhoggan301 on 25 Jul, 2017 05:27 AM

Dang it. Dang it all. How silly! I hope it will one day be writable.

Jason

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 25 Jul, 2017 05:32 AM

Apple has pretty much abandoned the scripting interface for iTunes on Windows. While this might be supported at some point for macOS, I have my doubts that it will ever be supported on Windows.

Even on macOS, this would probably depend on someone filing a bug report/feature requests.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac