Better genre support and genre browsing

Tekl

06 Jul, 2017 05:09 PM

I would like to see support for nested genres and a genre browser that supports such a genre tree. Currently I use this formatting to achieve a workaround in iTunes:

Rock: Metal
Rock: Grunge
Rock: Progressive: Neo-Prog
Rock: Progressive: New Prog
Pop: New Wave
Pop: Latin Pop

Doscogs provides a hierarchy depth of 2 (genre and style) but on many albums they have also multiple styles. So another cool feature could be multiple genres, maybe separated by semicolon (or other characters): "Electronic: Minimal; Electronic: Tech House".

There are players like MediaMonkey or Foobar2000 which support multiple genres.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 28 Jul, 2017 08:38 AM

Hey there,

sorry for the very late reply.

I can see how this is desirable. To a degree beaTunes 5 already supports genre hierarchies, as it has a built-in genre graph, which is used for matching and playlist building. Also, beaTunes 5 displays a top genre next to the actual genre name. E.g. Alternative & Punk (Rock). The label here is Alternative & Punk, the hint (Rock) is added by beaTunes. But at this point you cannot search for this, which is what you want, if I understand you correctly.

I'll add an entry to the todo list, but given that v5 was just released, it will take a long time until I can add new features.

Cheers,

-hendrik

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac