suggestion about improvement on the « Tags » management system

Elliot Fouchy

27 Sep, 2015 01:30 PM

Hey Hendrik,

I was intensely feeling the lack of a software designed to organize and browse music files since long time. Discovering beaTunes last week (better late than never) was great since it implements most of what I was looking for. I’m coming with a suggestion about improvement on the « Tags » management system, if I can of course.

The main idea would be to use the Tags pop-up existing window also as a filter. Like this it would have two different modes:
- « Write Tag » : used to add or delete Tags associated to the highlighted music file. - « Filter Tag » : used to filter the music files depending on witch tag is active.

Instead of a pop-up window it could be displayed as a new optional container, like the « Correspondance » one.

I also imagine the possibility of organizing this container through an editable table: columns with editable title to regroup the tags’ categories and each of them displaying an automatic number of rows, depending on how many tags there are in the category (depending on the container space columns and rows function might be inverted).

Let me know what you think,

Cheers,

Elliot.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 29 Sep, 2015 05:53 AM

Hey Elliot,

Thank you for your suggestion.

« Filter Tag » : used to filter the music files depending on witch tag is active.

Are you aware that you can switch the filter mode to Tags by clicking on the magnifying glass in the regular filter field and selecting Tag? If so, how does that not already take care of what you have in mind?

Thanks,

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by Elliot Fouchy on 29 Sep, 2015 12:11 PM

Hi,

Yes I’m aware of the « Filter by Tags » function that already exists, I will get to use it for sure.

The point is that it requires some writing and also to have them all in mind.

I love the system you implemented to tag the files, it’s very visual and doesn’t require writings (just the first time). I’m thinking that the same method (clicking on them) to filter the songs could be much more efficient.

And in the futur if the Tag window could keep displayed (optionally) it would be even more practical.

Before beaTunes I was thinking of doing this multiple tagging system on my files but I could not find any player/tagger that allows me to do it nicely and I gave up on the idea. I’m now working on the tags I will use, I’ve attached a print screen of it. It’s a work in progress but I thought it could give you a better idea of what I’m thinking about.

Cheers,

Elliot

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 30 Sep, 2015 10:09 AM

Alright, Elliot.
    I think I have understood what you want and will keep it in mind.

Thanks for the suggestion.

-hendrik

4. 4 Posted by erges eregerge on 26 Jan, 2016 03:20 PM

This comment was split into a new discussion: see all the audio files contained in the playlists that are inside the same folder

Hi Hendrik

I’m still using Beatunes and I for the first time I’m happy with a music organizing tool!

I have a suggestion that would be very helpful (at least to me) in order to be able to search in groups of playlists:

Would it be possible to see all the audio files contained in the playlists that are inside the same folder just by clicking on the folder??

Maybe I’m wrong but I kind of remember it was possible in a previous version.

Thank you,

Elliot

5. hendrik closed this discussion on 27 Jan, 2016 07:21 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac