Sorting by Key

louietyj

10 Dec, 2014 10:50 PM

First time trying out BeaTunes here!

Currently when trying to sort by key in the music list, BeaTunes sorts using the numeric OpenKey code by major/minor, then actual key. Hence the ranking goes 1d, 2d...12d, then 1m, 2m...12m. This is very annoying as there is no good reason why all major keys should be ranked higher than normal keys Some configurable settings here would be preferable, such as...

1. Sorting by OpenKey key first, then major/minor scale. I.e. 1d, 1m, 2d, 2m, 3d, 3m...
2. Sorting by key chromatically, then major/minor scale. I.e. C, Cm, C#, C#m, D, D#m...

Rationale for (2) is that with most software it is very easy to pitch-shift any song to whatever key you want, as long as it is relatively close. Close as in nearby on the chromatic scale, hence you can see why it would be useful to be able to sort by chromatic key instead of OpenKey code. It is way easier to mix a C major into a native C# major song by bringing it down one semitone than trying to mix into a G major and working around chord clashes.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 11 Dec, 2014 10:33 AM

You've got some very good points there.

Makes me wonder, does the current order (major then minor keys) ever make sense?

Cheers,

-hendrik

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by hendrik on 19 Dec, 2014 02:27 PM

1. Sorting by OpenKey key first, then major/minor scale. I.e. 1d, 1m, 2d, 2m, 3d, 3m...

This will be the default order starting with beaTunes 4.0.15.

1. Sorting by key chromatically, then major/minor scale. I.e. C, Cm, C#, C#m, D, D#m...

I understand the reason, but it requires more internal changes.

Cheers,

-hendrik

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac