Analysis results

Richard

13 Aug, 2018 11:28 AM

beaTunes finished analyzing 87,000 tracks. I was doing fingerprints (& submitting to online db), lyrics lookup, danceability lookup, and derivation of color, mood, instrumentation, BPM, and key (using the whole track). It took a good 3 days using 4 threads on an Intel Core i5 4670K cpu. This is a folder-based library, Win 8.1, beaTunes 5.1.8. My questions/comments pertain to some of the results.

It found lyrics for about 12,000 tracks, out of about 75,000 non-instrumental tracks, or about 16% of the total. I was hoping it would have found more.

It estimated the BPM for virtually all of the files. A few files seemed to confuse the estimator, assigning 4 BPM to a few tracks on the Alan Bown album Emergency 999. I reran the BPM module and it "fixed" a couple of tracks on that album, but not others. I spot checked some other really low BPM tracks (values below 25). A lot of these started off with applause, a spoken intro, a beatless musical intro, or other characteristics that I can see would confuse an algorithm. I'm wondering if the estimator should not enter a value if it is below a certain cut-off value, although I don't know what that value would be?

I ran the danceability on about 5000 files doing the calculation. I noticed that all or virtually all of the results were in the 0-4 range. Then I redid those files using online resources, and the results were markedly different on the whole, and spanned the entire 0-10 range. So, I'm not sure that the internal danceability calculator is particularly useful. Maybe it would have worked better on a different set of files. It did assign a danceability value to about 99% of the tracks.

It fared less well on instrumentation and mood. I'm guessing it assigned about 75% of the tracks a mood, but only about 40% an instrumentation. It did assign a color and a key to virtually every track.

I was kind of amused by the "key" calculations for some tracks. I don't have a lot of classical music and I don't know a lot about classical music. I was curious if beaTunes would come up with the same key as in the name of the track. I figured not every movement of a symphony would be in the key the title says it is, but I thought the first movement probably is. So, just looking at the first movements, it "correctly" identified the key in Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D major and Symphony #1 in G minor, Mozart's Symphony #25 in G minor, Sibelius' Violin Concerto in D minor, and Schubert's Symphonies #2 and #5 in B-flat major. But often, it disagreed. It labeled Mahler's Symphony #4 in G major as D major, Tchaikovsky's Symphony #2 in C minor as G minor, Schubert's Symphony #10 in D major as D minor, Schubert's Symphony #8 in B minor as G major, and so on. Actually, I'm impressed that the module even exists in the first place. I just thought the results were interesting.

The database file grew considerably. Before I started the analysis, the h2.db file was 840,248 KB. Now it's more than twice the size at 1,723,128 KB. I'm sure that has an impact on the response time which I brought up in a different thread. I'm a little hesitant to add my other 270,000 tracks to beaTune's library.

Any reactions?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 13 Aug, 2018 03:54 PM

Hey Richard,

I will get back to you about this and your other questions later today.

Thanks for your patience.

2. 2 Posted by Richard on 13 Aug, 2018 04:01 PM

Thanks! No rush. I know I posted a lot over the weekend.
    One update: for some reason, the h2.db file shrunk to 1,266,616 KB. I didn't realize it could dynamically get that much smaller. I might have had beaTunes open when I reported the larger size.

To: [email blocked]
     Sent: Monday, August 13, 2018 10:54 AM
     Subject: Re: Analysis results [Questions #9947]

#yiv6234881673 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv6234881673 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 13 Aug, 2018 04:12 PM

Did you restart beaTunes?
    beaTunes may compact the database when it shuts it down.

BTW: the database size should not lead to bad runtime behavior. With growing size only insertions and updates may get slower, but lookups should remain fast (because of indexing).

4. 4 Posted by Richard on 13 Aug, 2018 04:16 PM

Yes, I did restart beaTunes.

To: [email blocked]
     Sent: Monday, August 13, 2018 11:12 AM
     Subject: Re: Analysis results [Questions #9947]

#yiv8378883152 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv8378883152 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by hendrik on 18 Aug, 2018 09:02 PM

Just to comment about a couple of the other points you've raised:

• Danceability: This is either reading a value set by MixedInKey, a value computed by AcousticBrainz or using the algorithm by Streich and Herrera. Of these values, I assume the MixedInKey value is actually the best.
    • Lyrics: beaTunes does a glorified web search. If it's not easily found on the web, beaTunes cannot import it.
    • Acoustic/Electric/Neither: beaTunes pays attention to a couple of sources, but depends on third party information. This is why there isn't always a value
    • BPM and Key: This is either imported from online resources or calculated depending on the audio portion of your files (depends on your settings). The method is not optimized for classical music, but rather for popular music.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac