question on submitting fingerprints

Richard

12 Aug, 2018 03:05 PM

I'm a little unclear on fingerprints. Under Analysis, if you have the "submit fingerprints to online database" checked, does that mean the fingerprint for each track is submitted as it is generated?

There is an option under Tools that says "Submit Fingerprints to Server". Is that the same as the "submit fingerprints" in the analysis section, except that it sends all the fingerprints at once? Also, if you submitted fingerprints at the time of analysis, is there any value in submitting to server later on? And does it submit them all again, or just the new and changed ones? Just curious.

Is there a way to know which tracks have not had a fingerprint created, and is there a way to create fingerprints for just those tracks?

Also, I'm kind of curious: what information does the fingerprint contain? Should the fingerprint for a track be regenerated if the metadata changes?

Lots of questions. Sorry!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 13 Aug, 2018 03:47 PM

Fingerprints under analysis: this gives you fine-grained control, which tracks to fingerprint. Results are not necessarily sent to the server.

Fingerprints are never re-computed. If they exist, the computation is skipped.

Fingerprints do not depend on metadata. It's purely a very short description of the audio, useful for looking up metadata.

In he Get Info summary pane, there is a little fingerprint icon for those tracks that have been fingerprinted.

If you have submitted the fingerprint once to the server, there is no value in sending it again, even if something has changed about the tracks.

I hope this answers most of your questions!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac