changing beaTunes memory configuration on Windows

Richard

11 Aug, 2018 05:39 PM

I was reading some of the support archives on memory configuration and saw this link: http://help.beatunes.com/kb/troubleshooting/manually-changing-the-beatunes-memory-configuration-on-windows

A few questions:
1- Is this link still germaine with beaTunes 5.1.x? This link talks about versions 4 and 3.
2- Will beaTunes still let you know if it needs more memory? Is there any chance of database corruption if it never prompts you to increase memory?
3- Is there any benefit to increasing the BEATUNES_MEMORY allocation without being prompted to do so? Any downside?

On my 5.1.8 installation on Win 8.1, my BEATUNES_MEMORY parameter is set to "-Xmx3072m". That's not my setting, it's how beaTunes configured itself. I have a total of 16GB memory on my desktop PC. Could I/Should I change that value, or is it best to leave it alone? When I first open beaTunes and wait a minute or two until it "settles down", I see that it has allocated 3.44 GB "private bytes" to itself prior to any user interaction. I do have 2800 items in the task queue because I'm in the process of analyzing my library, but the task queue is paused when beaTunes opens up, and I didn't resume yet.

I should note I'm not aware of any problems related to a lack of memory. This is a "tweak" question. I do have concerns about response time (asked in a different message thread). I could add another 16GB to my PC if I needed to.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 13 Aug, 2018 04:23 PM

> 1- Is this link still germaine with beaTunes 5.1.x? This link talks about versions 4 and 3.

The page is still current. The same things apply to beaTunes 5.x.

> 2- Will beaTunes still let you know if it needs more memory? Is there any chance of database corruption if it never prompts you to increase memory?

Database corruption may occur for all kinds of reasons, e.g. when you simply kill beaTunes. So there is no way for beaTunes to tell you something is up, before it happens.

> Is there any benefit to increasing the BEATUNES_MEMORY allocation without being prompted to do so? Any downside?

If you know ahead of time that your library is huge (say, greater then 50k), it might be a good idea to increase the memory configuration ahead of time. The more memory you grant beaTunes, the less memory is available to other applications. Also, it behaves in a greedy fashion: if you grant it a ton of memory, it tends to *use* it, even though it might not *need* it.

> On my 5.1.8 installation on Win 8.1, my BEATUNES_MEMORY parameter is set to "-Xmx3072m". That's not my setting, it's how beaTunes configured itself.

Any chance you have created a large library and at some point restarted beaTunes? It might have reconfigured itself to adjust to the large library size as a precaution. 3GB should be enough for most (even large) libraries. The best way to find out, is to monitor memory consumption in beaTunes' `About Dialog`. There the actually used heap is shown and updated. If beaTunes keeps on using more than 90% of the reserved heap, you should shut it down, grant more memory and restart it.
    System tools report only how much beaTunes has reserved/allocated, that is a maximum, not the actually used memory.

2. 2 Posted by Richard on 13 Aug, 2018 06:17 PM

Hendrik, thank you for responding to all of my posts. I did not know about the memory report in the About box.
    I've been watching the About box for a few minutes. It says "Memory: 92m - 3072m, " and then the "used" number ticks up from about 795m (24%) to 940m (30%) at the rate of about 1m per second, and then drops back down and repeats, but seems to inch a little higher in the range each time. This is while beaTunes isn't doing anything except for displaying About. I'll let it run for awhile and check on it later.

To: [email blocked]
     Sent: Monday, August 13, 2018 11:23 AM
     Subject: Re: changing beaTunes memory configuration on Windows [Questions #9939]

#yiv1254475800 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv1254475800 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 13 Aug, 2018 08:14 PM

> It says "Memory: 92m - 3072m, " and then the "used" number ticks up from about 795m (24%) to 940m (30%) at the rate of about 1m per second, and then drops back down and repeats, but seems to inch a little higher in the range each time. This is while beaTunes isn't doing anything except for displaying About.

That is the expected behavior. It gets more interesting as you start scrolling around in your library or running inspection/analysis.

4. 4 Posted by Richard on 13 Aug, 2018 08:23 PM

Now, about 2 hours later, the range seems to have moved to 900m - 1720m. I wonder what happens when it hits the limit of its allocated memory?

To: [email blocked]
     Sent: Monday, August 13, 2018 3:14 PM
     Subject: Re: changing beaTunes memory configuration on Windows [Questions #9939]

#yiv7386989471 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv7386989471 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by hendrik on 13 Aug, 2018 09:28 PM

Memory management can be a complicated matter. Java uses generational garbage collectors. That means that certain things are cleaned up much faster than other things. If the upper consumption limit is reached it will spend more time and effort on freeing memory that is not used anymore. If it is unable to free enough memory despite increased best efforts, there will be an error.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• beatunes_-_memory_usage.png 4.7 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac