Can beaTunes sync my playlists across two computers?

hey

10 Jun, 2018 09:15 PM

The situation I'm trying to get to:

Import current playlists from iTunes on Computer A
beaTunes now saves/keeps those playlists - they do not require/watch the iTunes Library.itl file from Computer A.
I can make new playlists that sit alongside the now exported/duplicated iTunes playlists
(iTunes can now die a death forever)
Computer B syncs the same directory that beaTunes was just set up on.
Computer B sees all the same playlists - and makes a new one.
Computer A can sync those playlists.

Is this possible - and if not, where does beaTunes fit into that process? What else might I need?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 10 Jun, 2018 09:56 PM

Hey,

I'm sorry to say that beaTunes does not have any playlist sync capabilities. For the moment, it's strictly a single computer software.

If you wanted to trick beaTunes, you'd have to use the exact same folder names/paths for your music on both computers and somehow find a way to share the beaTunes database, which is located in ~/Library/Application Support/beaTunes/Database/.

Important caveat: The beaTunes database must never opened by more than one computer.

Note that this means using beaTunes in an unintended way and unless you know exactly what you are doing will cause nothing but grief, which is why I advise against ist.

Cheers,

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by hey on 12 Jun, 2018 11:45 AM

Thanks for the response Hendrik.

It sounds like I probably shouldn't push the boundaries too much with a symlink'ed file/folder... but thanks for letting me what about beaTunes' capabilities.

Out of interest - do you know of any software that does target that use case?

Thanks
    Russ

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 12 Jun, 2018 02:54 PM

Out of interest - do you know of any software that does target that use case?

I am afraid, I don't know of any such software.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac