Inspection not flagging embedded cover art

Mark

06 May, 2018 11:08 AM

I want to copy my MP3 files to another machine here, and retain as much metadata as possible. In a test run I found about 5% of the copied files lacked embedded cover art. But this was only discovered when I imported them into iTunes on the new PC. Beatunes (v5.15) isn't reporting any missing cover art on inspection on the same files on the old PC.
I've tried to identify what's common for the files missing cover art and the best I can see is that they were created at least 5 years ago with either LAME 3.95 or 3.97. A small number report as Encoder Unknown in iTunes. But there are plenty of LAME and "unknown" encoded files of that vintage that have correctly embedded art in my collection.

Any thoughts on how to proceed so that BeaTunes can flag these files with faulty cover art and fix them? I've attached one short file as an example.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 08 May, 2018 03:47 PM

Beatunes (v5.15) isn't reporting any missing cover art on inspection on the same files on the old PC.

The inspection in beaTunes reports tracks that iTunes has artwork for, but that isn't embedded in the files. I.e. if iTunes does not have an artwork for the tracks, the "Artwork not embedded" inspector is not reporting any issues.

Did your old machine ever show cover art for those 5% of tracks?

2. 2 Posted by Mark on 10 May, 2018 08:44 AM

My old machine shows cover art for all tracks, including the problematic 5%. I was wondering if the problem was iTunes on the new machine, but I don't think so. The cover art shows correctly for the 95% in VLC and Windows Media Player, but for the "5%" is missing in those apps. Same thing in the Windows 10 preview pane.
    However, on the old machine the cover art displays correctly in all the apps I've tried, and the Windows 10 preview pane. So on the old machine apps are finding the art in some fashion.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 10 May, 2018 11:36 AM

I'm afraid, but this sounds like it's not a beaTunes-specific problem.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Kiln_(Thermals)_07_-_Humid.mp3 1.55 MB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac