Genre Tagging

jaimenacole

05 Mar, 2018 05:43 PM

Is there any way to import genre tags from LastFM or All Music? With a huge library, I spend a lot of time editing GENRE tags. It would be great if there was integration with LastFM or All Music to import a genre tag cloud to the COMMENTS section in iTunes. Better yet, import a genre tag list, taking only the top 2 or 3 genre tagging’s into the comments field. This would make genre tagging so much quicker and accurate.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 06 Mar, 2018 08:42 AM

Hey,

you can import tags (any kind, not just genre) via the LastFM task in analysis.
    Alternatively, you can of course update the genre tag via the Import Metadata task, but it will overwrite your existing tags—something you might not be interested in.

That all said, are you aware that the Get Info dialog offers alternatives? Just go to its genre field, and right-click on it to see alternatives from different databases (attached screenshot). If the right-click is not offered (no red squiggle), change the existing genre name slightly, i.e. remove a letter.

Cheers,

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by Ed on 02 Apr, 2018 07:04 PM

This is really close to what I'd like to do. Specifically, I want to use AllMusic (not Last.fm) info for all the tracks in my iTunes library, with Genre>Genre and Stye>Grouping. Is this possible? Also, from where does beaTunes pull its Genre information? Apologies if this is an ignorant question, but I'm just starting to use beaTunes and did not see these answers after initial search in KB and discussions.
    Thanks!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 03 Apr, 2018 07:32 AM

As far as I know, AllMusic does not offer a public API.

beaTunes pulls genre info from LastFM, Discogs, Wikidata or its own database.

4. 4 Posted by imanon on 05 Apr, 2018 11:59 PM

Hi Hendrik and thanks for the response. Is there a way to limit beaTunes to only pull from Discogs?

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by hendrik on 06 Apr, 2018 06:10 AM

Well, in the Get Info dialog (as shown in a previous post in this discussion), you make the choice yourself.

During analysis, in the import metadata task, you cannot choose. And no, there is no way to limit this to Discogs. Sorry.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac