Audio Normalization - How does it impact iTunes?

karl.browning

01 Mar, 2018 12:25 AM

My iTunes DB has music from a variety of sources. (Too) often songs playback either too loud or too softly relative to other music requiring frequent volume adjustments. While I try to reset the audio in iTunes "volume adjust" this is tedious and inconsistent. I tried re-analyzing a playlist to see if the "Audio Normalization" would be a better way to establish a consistent playback volume. Doesn't seem to have any impact.

Am I missing something or is it wishful thinking that beaTunes will help in this area?

Thanks. I love the program and use it regularly.
Karl

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 01 Mar, 2018 07:32 AM

Hey Karl,

I tried re-analyzing a playlist to see if the "Audio Normalization" would be a better way to establish a consistent playback volume. Doesn't seem to have any impact.

What settings did you use and how did you play your playlists, i.e. with what software and what settings?

Thanks. I love the program and use it regularly.

Awesome! :-)

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by karl.browning on 01 Mar, 2018 11:35 AM

Thanks for your quick reply.
    Settings in beaTunes analyze: Audio Normalization: Replace existing replay gain; track replay gain (both checked). Album replay gain not checked. Peak: True Peak; Algorithm: ITU-R BS.1770; Reference Level center: EBUR128.

I play the playlists using iTunes on a Mac (also, but different I play the playlists in my car via iCloud). Not sure what you are asking re: iTunes settings. iTunes Preferences:Playback: Crossfade, Sound Enhancer, and Sound Check all unchecked. Perhaps the last is the problem?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 01 Mar, 2018 11:37 AM

Playback: Crossfade, Sound Enhancer, and Sound Check all unchecked. Perhaps the last is the problem?

Definitely. beaTunes only writes information into the files that tell an audio player how it should adjust the volume during playback. It's up to the player to honor this (or not). iTunes only honors any of the embedded values when Soundcheck is on.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac