beaTunes iTunes interaction

Ian Nettelfield

09 Feb, 2018 03:06 PM

Hi
I have just discovered beaTunes, and its exactly what i need to sort my 16000+ iTunes library. But I'm not sure I'm using it correctly yet...

How does beaTunes interact with iTunes? I can see the inspection tool sends metadata corrections to iTunes nicely. But what if I make changes directly in iTunes, does the beaTunes library and metadata update immediately and automatically?

If not, can I remove songs from the beaTunes library without deleting the mp3 file, and re-analyse and import again with new metadata?

How do I define a Greatest Hits album from a single artist, with songs from different years? I don't want it to be a compilation in the folder structure. But inspection flags as errors different years on album tracks if not a compilation?

After I have added new music in iTunes, does it appear in beaTunes or do i have to find the files and add them to the beaTunes library?

Thats all!
Thanks
ian

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 09 Feb, 2018 06:30 PM

How does beaTunes interact with iTunes?

When beaTunes writes changes, it tells iTunes about then and they should be reflected in iTunes immediately.

When iTunes writes changes, beaTunes needs to synchronize. You can trigger this manually via File -> Synchronize or enable Automatic synchronization on Windows activation in the general preferences. The latter is not really suited for very large collections as it may cost a lot of processing power, if you enjoy switching back and forth between applications a lot.

How do I define a Greatest Hits album from a single artist, with songs from different years? I don't want it to be a compilation in the folder structure. But inspection flags as errors different years on album tracks if not a compilation?

Inspections report issues that could be errors. It's up to you, whether you regard them as errors.

After I have added new music in iTunes, does it appear in beaTunes or do i have to find the files and add them to the beaTunes library?

Just synchronize.

Cheers,

-hendrik

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by hendrik on 09 Feb, 2018 06:30 PM

More info about synchronization etc. can be found at http://blog.beatunes.com/2015/01/different-libraries-for-different-...

3. 3 Posted by Ian Nettelfield on 10 Feb, 2018 08:13 PM

Hi Hendrik

Thanks for your explanations! My next questions…

If I analyse the tracks to update the YEAR metadata, on a greatest hits or compilation album, use the year of the album release or the year of each song’s original release date?

And, I seem to have more music files in my music folder than I have in iTunes. Is it possible to find the tracks in a folder that are not missing from its iTunes library?

Regards

Ian

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by hendrik on 10 Feb, 2018 09:39 PM

If I analyse the tracks to update the YEAR metadata, on a greatest hits or compilation album, use the year of the album release or the year of each song’s original release date?

There seems to be a word or two missing — I'm not entirely sure what you are asking.

And, I seem to have more music files in my music folder than I have in iTunes. Is it possible to find the tracks in a folder that are not missing from its iTunes library?

I'm sorry, I don't think it is.

5. 5 Posted by Ian Nettelfield on 10 Feb, 2018 10:13 PM

Sorry!
    If I analyse the tracks to update the YEAR metadata, on a greatest hits or compilation album, does your database use the year of the album release or the year of each song’s original release date?
    /Ian

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by hendrik on 12 Feb, 2018 09:44 AM

The data in the database is crowd-sourced. I.e. whenever you look up something, you are sending your metadata so that matching metadata can be found. The metadata is anonymized and stored. What's returned to you is the "consensus" from many users.

In other words: I cannot tell you whether it's the release year of the compilation or the release year of the individual song.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac