Instrumental music

samirdavies

12 Aug, 2017 06:26 PM

Is it possible for Beatunes to distinguish between instrumental and lyrical music?
My assumption is no, but would love to be surprised.

Assuming the above is not possible, is there any way to be able to scan through the lyrics field of each song for the word "Instrumental"?
Was hoping I'd be able to do this through an iTunes smartplaylist, but I don't think I can.

I could swear there was a way to do this.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 12 Aug, 2017 07:49 PM

Is it possible for Beatunes to distinguish between instrumental and lyrical music? My assumption is no, but would love to be surprised.

No, I'm afraid beaTunes does not contains an instrumental/non-instrumental classifier.

Assuming the above is not possible, is there any way to be able to scan through the lyrics field of each song for the word "Instrumental"?

Again, I'm afraid that the lyrics are not indexed by beaTunes.

Was hoping I'd be able to do this through an iTunes smartplaylist, but I don't think I can.

Without having tried, I would agree.

I could swear there was a way to do this.

Here's what I would do:

• Analyze all songs in beaTunes
    • As the only task, select the Last.fm task. Make sure to download not just the top 3, but more (top tags are often just genre related).
    • After the analysis, click on the mag glass in the beaTunes filter field and choose Tag, then type in instrumental.
    • From the resulting filtered list you can create a playlist.

The result won't be perfect, but will get you closer.

2. 2 Posted by samirdavies on 13 Aug, 2017 01:26 PM

Will check out your Last.FM tag suggestion when I get a chance.
    This will help tidy things up, as I expect I have many many songs that are instrumental and have an empty lyrics field.

The makeshift solution I found was through using softpointer Tag&Rename.
    It was slow (the program does not keep any index or database, so it had to scan my entire bloated collection), but it got the job done. After scanning, I was able to use its "Find" function, and specify the lyrics field. I was then able to create a playlist from the results, which I then imported into iTunes.

The biggest joy from all this: the realization that with W10, *finally* it is possible to exceed the 256 character filename limit (via group policy or registry). Tag&Rename warned me that I had several violations, and I found out that a solution was finally possible through a google search.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac