Import AIFF metadata

ryan

20 May, 2017 01:20 AM

Hi,

I've been recording all my vinyl using Adobe Audition and saving to AIFF which support saving metadata. But when I import the songs into iTunes / beaTunes the metadata (Artist, Title etc.) isn't being imported ... Is this possible? Or does the metadata need to be edited inside iTunes? And is this info writtenback to the file?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 20 May, 2017 07:13 AM

Hey Ryan,

I've been recording all my vinyl using Adobe Audition and saving to AIFF which support saving metadata.

I have no idea how Adobe Audition saves metadata into AIFF and cannot comment on that. While AIFF is a great format for lossless audio, metadata support is a little shaky and not necessarily implemented in every player/software.

For AIFF support in beaTunes, please see http://help.beatunes.com/discussions/problems/45523-aif-mp3-and-m4a...

If you are using an iTunes-based library with beaTunes (see http://blog.beatunes.com/2015/01/different-libraries-for-different-... for details on different kinds of libs), beaTunes will read whatever iTunes was able to read from your files. If iTunes cannot read anything, beaTunes cannot see your metadata either.

Hope this helps,

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by ryan on 23 May, 2017 04:16 AM

Ok thanks .. I tried saving aiff files from Audacity and the files that it saves can be analysed and the tags are also visible.. Audition must save aiff files in a format not compatible with iTunes

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 23 May, 2017 07:07 AM

Ok thanks .. I tried saving aiff files from Audacity and the files that it saves can be analysed and the tags are also visible.. Audition must save aiff files in a format not compatible with iTunes

If you send me a sample song along with information about what you expect to happen, I'd be happy to take a look at it.

4. 4 Posted by ryan on 24 May, 2017 12:33 AM

I managed to figure it out (partially) by saving 16bit instead of 32 and PowerPC Byte order. But the tags aren't being read .. I've attached a snippet

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by hendrik on 24 May, 2017 09:26 AM

Hey Ryan,

thanks for that sample file. It looks like Adobe Audition stores the metadata in XMP tags.

To be honest, I haven't come across those before—seems to be an Adobe thing.

Anyhow. The format isn't terribly complicated. I wrote a quick & dirty beaTlet that can import the main fields (name, artist, album, genre, tracknumber). To install it, shut down beaTunes and place the file XMPImportAction.groovy (the file must be named XMPImportAction.groovy!) into the plugins folder. This article describes how that's done. Then start beaTunes and select some of those AIF files. Under the menu File, choose Import XMP and the beaTlet should import the main fields into beaTunes. If you are using an iTunes-based library, chances are, that the values are also popping up in iTunes.

Hope this helps,

-hendrik

6. 6 Posted by ryan on 03 Jun, 2017 11:21 PM

Thanks man .. awesome!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac