Libraries iTunes and folder based

Alex

30 Mar, 2017 11:04 PM

So I'm going with folder base because if I dhoose a iTunes library instead tell me if I'm wrong - if I use iTunes to make a change like add a missing album art - and later I want to not use iTunes so I star using roon or something like that and I connect it to my folder based library - the change I made in iTunes isn't being made in my folder based library correct. I'm concerned about using iTunes to edit like rename genres and all that work wasted if in leave iTunes as it's not write changes to my original music folder. Unless there is a solution for that? I'd like to do iTunes folder but this is my concern. I want my edits to effect the original file. Now if I go the folder base - i feel getting changes I may make externally won't be seen in iTunes. I will be using iTunes now for sure. So I'm stuck what best to do

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by hendrik on 31 Mar, 2017 07:55 AM

I'm having trouble following your train of thought here...

The general advice I'd like to give is the following:

If you are usually using iTunes, you really should use an iTunes based music collection in beaTunes. Otherwise both views on the same collection will get out of sync.

If you are not using iTunes in everyday life, use the folder based music library in beaTunes.

Cheers,

-hendrik

2. 2 Posted by Alex Mendoza on 31 Mar, 2017 01:01 PM

Good Morning Hendrick,

I emailed that from my Iphone, let me clarify:

So I'm windows based. I'm trying to understand best way to manage my music libraries since I'm a collector and have 11,000 music files currently, all in Apple Lossless - they are stored on an external NAS drive - let's call that the 'original music folder'.

I use Itunes for a long time, however, have been hearing about alternatives like Roon, and streamers like Blue Sound etc - I am an audiophile so I strive to get the best sound out of my system.

I will continue to use Itunes for a while - but started thinking about portability of the Itunes library, meaning what If in 3 months I decide to use another program other than ituens - I called itunes twice yesterday, but had bad luck in getting a truly knowledgable rep on the line so they could not clarify for me, believe it or not.

So please let me ask you this - I rip my ever growing CD collection to the Nas Drive 'original music folder' - then I-Tunes, makes it's own copy of that folder, or not really a copy but a library (?) - and then I use itunes to edit that library, because in itunes I may see missing art work or wrong genre in perhaps 100's of songs, and so I fix them in I-tunes, which really only fixes them in the 'Itunes music folder' but it not applying those changes to the 'orginal music folder' - is this correct? I asked Itunes rep if there was a setting to tell itunes to make those changes in both itunes library and original music folder but they said no.

Ok, that's fine - so am I to assume that, basically, the original music folder moving forward is obsolete, as the itunes music folder is being edited and wlll be more up to date. And moving forward, I should 'back up' my itunes music library' with the changes, and start to forget about my original musis folder? Could I delete my original music folder - I think the answer is no, because itunes library isn't actually the music files - so I need to lug around both libraries moving forward - like if I get a new computer? See why I'm a bit confused.

To me it seems like it may make sense to not make edits in itunes - and only use music management software like Beatunes or Perfectunes by DB poweramp to edit my 'oriignal music folder' - the only thing is then, how do those edits easily get transferred into Itunes - would you be able to tell me best way to do that.

I hope I'm not over complicating this, but this is a lot of work I'm about to do for weeks, and don't want to make the wrong move.

Lastly - seems like using Beatunes and I-tunes is best idea - my question would be for back up - do I back up both itunes music folder (for all the edits) and also my original music folder - as that's where I'll be constantly adding ripped CD's I collect.

Thank you Hendrick!

alex

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by hendrik on 01 Apr, 2017 05:08 PM

Alex,

please understand that Apple is multi-billion dollar company and tagtraum/beaTunes is a one-man-show. Therefore I don't really provide iTunes support.

That said:

iTunes has two operating modes:

1. Copy everything upon import to the media folder (and potentially let iTunes manage filenames etc.)
    2. Leave files where they are and only edit tags

You can choose between the two modes in the iTunes advanced preferences ("Copy files to iTunes media folder..."). What you want, I guess, is for iTunes not to make its own copy (option 2).

For as long as you still use iTunes, I'd use beaTunes in iTunes-mode. Should you ever really abandon iTunes, switch beaTunes to folder mode. If you are doing so, I'd recommend turning "Embed non-iTunes fields" in the beaTunes general preferences on. That way, all data is not only stored in the internal beaTunes database, but also in your files.

Cheers,

-hendrik

4. 4 Posted by Alex Mendoza on 05 Apr, 2017 04:01 AM

Hi Hendrick,

Thank you – two things please: I cannot find ‘embed non-itunes fields’ in the beatunes general preferences – I just don’t see it – I have version 4.6.13.

Second – I was going to use the folder based library and use beatunes to analyze and then make my fixes and clean up my folder – once all is nice and orderly, I was going to switch to itunes based library – do you see any issue with that? Or, would it be easier for me to ‘slice and dice’ from Itunes – my motivation is to be sure I make changes to base folder, but if it’s easier to slice and dice from itnues, you say I can use OPTION 2 you describe below – is there any disadvantages to going that route and using itunes regularly?

Thank you, I love your software man – it’s brilliant, it’s the best stuff I’ve seen around.

Thanks!

alex

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by hendrik on 05 Apr, 2017 04:20 PM

I cannot find ‘embed non-itunes fields’ in the beatunes general preferences – I just don’t see it – I have version 4.6.13.

That's only visible when you use an iTunes-based library. I guess you are using a folder-based one.

Second – I was going to use the folder based library and use beatunes to analyze and then make my fixes and clean up my folder – once all is nice and orderly, I was going to switch to itunes based library – do you see any issue with that? Or, would it be easier for me to ‘slice and dice’ from Itunes – my motivation is to be sure I make changes to base folder, but if it’s easier to slice and dice from itnues, you say I can use OPTION 2 you describe below – is there any disadvantages to going that route and using itunes regularly?

As stated before: If you are using iTunes on a regular basis or plan on doing so, I would use an iTunes-based beaTunes library with the embed non-iTunes fields option turned on.

6. 6 Posted by Alex Mendoza on 05 Apr, 2017 04:23 PM

Great – when switching from folder based library to itunes based libray is anything lost or work I have to do over again with iltunes or does everything transfer intact – and what about vice versa.

Again I really like what you’ve built, it’s a smart product!

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by hendrik on 05 Apr, 2017 05:49 PM

Great – when switching from folder based library to itunes based libray is anything lost or work I have to do over again with iltunes or does everything transfer intact – and what about vice versa.

From folder-based to iTunes-based, everything should transfer easily.

From iTunes-based to folder-based, it's not that easy. One needs to make sure all tags are actually embedded in the files (embed non-iTunes fields).

Again I really like what you’ve built, it’s a smart product!

Thanks!

8. 8 Posted by Alex Mendoza on 05 Apr, 2017 05:57 PM

Hi Hendrick – just to confirm that I-Tunes-based to Folder-based – if the ‘embed non-I-Tunes fields feature is ON from the start – then there is no problem and transfer will be accurate – or are you saying that – even if you have ‘embed’ ON – one still has to make sure all tags are actually embedded in the files?

Thanks!

alex

9. 9 Posted by Alex Mendoza on 06 Apr, 2017 04:05 AM

Hendrick – wanted to make you aware of a bug – using windows 10 and your latest version – I’m re categorizing GENRE manually – so I do a search, find the album and tracks, highlight them all, then do GET INFO – I change the genre – hit OK – and like every 3 or 4 times I do this – I can’t get off that page – and only way after trying all kinds of buttons (back, cancel, library etc) – I have to restart. The changes do take. Normally after I hit OK it leaves GET INFO page, and goes to library where I can see the tracks changing genres one by one. The freez happens quite consistently, arbitrarily, but every 3 to 4 times avg.

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by hendrik on 06 Apr, 2017 09:33 AM

if the ‘embed non-I-Tunes fields feature is ON from the start – then there is no problem and transfer will be accurate

Yes. You should be fine.

11. 11 Posted by Alex Mendoza on 07 Apr, 2017 03:37 AM

I’ve created a folder-based library that I’ve been cleaning up – but now want to switch to itunes based as you recommend – how do I do that properly please? I don’t want to mess anything up, do I have to create a new library or what? Please – thank you!

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by hendrik on 07 Apr, 2017 02:22 PM

how do I do that properly please?

1. Well, first create your library in iTunes, if it does not exist yet.
    2. Then make sure that iTunes has XML sharing turned on (see http://blog.beatunes.com/2015/09/please-share-itunes-library-xml-wi...)
    3. In beaTunes, create a new library (via the File menu) and choose the iTunes Library.xml file exported by iTunes.

Voila!

13. 13 Posted by Alex Mendoza on 07 Apr, 2017 06:32 PM

Hi Henrick – what do I do with the ‘folder based library’ I’ve made and have been working on – is it written over, do I delete it, or does it get simply converted, if not I suppose your system will need to re-anayis the new Itunes library all over again? – thanks! - alex

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by hendrik on 07 Apr, 2017 06:37 PM

what do I do with the ‘folder based library’ I’ve made and have been working on – is it written over, do I delete it, or does it get simply converted,

Just don't worry about it.

if not I suppose your system will need to re-anayis the new Itunes library all over again? –

All values should have been embedded into the files and those are read, when you create the library.

15. 15 Posted by Alex Mendoza on 17 May, 2017 04:25 AM

This comment was split into a new discussion: Java virtual Machine launcher: Error: Could not open C:ProgramFiles\beatunes4\jre\lib\amd64\jvm.cfg

Hi Hendrick – two things. #1 I sent you this email below about a bug which I still experience, did you get my email? #2 more dire – I’m noticing your product seems to be rather unstable, I tried to install your latest update, but I get an error message – so I aborted that, but then a little while later beatunes froze and I had to restart, then when I tried to open beatunes I cannot – I get an error – so what do I do now, if I reinstall do I loose work?

The current error says “Java virtual Machine launcher: Error: Could not open C:ProgramFiles\beatunes4\jre\lib\amd64\jvm.cfg

What is best way for me to proceed – I still love your product so much!!

alex

Hendrick – wanted to make you aware of a bug – using windows 10 and your latest version – I’m re categorizing GENRE manually – so I do a search, find the album and tracks, highlight them all, then do GET INFO – I change the genre – hit OK – and like every 3 or 4 times I do this – I can’t get off that page – and only way after trying all kinds of buttons (back, cancel, library etc) – I have to restart. The changes do take. Normally after I hit OK it leaves GET INFO page, and goes to library where I can see the tracks changing genres one by one. The freez happens quite consistently, arbitrarily, but every 3 to 4 times avg.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac